1 ton dump truck

/ 1 ton dump truck #11  
** Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the OP's intent was to keep his pickup and decide whether to add a dump truck or a dump trailer to his existing fleet of equipment, not to replace the pickup with a dumptruck. However, this was my interpretation of the OP, your's may be different. I would also think life might be kind of rough having only an old municipal 1-ton dumptruck to run everyday errands with. :)

Man I gotta gets me some new glasses!

/ 1 ton dump truck #13  

I'm guessing he's referring to a one ton dump. Although I've never attempted to insure such a vehicle, if the truck's a common domestic one ton truck, how will the insurance people know what kind of bed it has on it?

Getting back to the original question, I can personally say a majority of one ton based flatbeds/dumps tend to get beat on/severely overloaded. While the miles may not be that much compared to a traditional vehicle, probably every one of those miles have been loaded, to which degree is the question:confused:

/ 1 ton dump truck #14  
Yes of course, since the thread is named "1 ton dump truck". I thought it would be obvious what I meant.

And yes, the insurance agent will very likely ask you what is on the back. Because, your not going to lie and say you have a 1 ton pick up you want to insure. (that would be a really bad idea). So, when you say I have a truck, or a one ton truck, I want to insure, and they will ask what kind of truck? (The computer is going to have a list of choices they need to mark off), Answering "Chevy" is not going to satisfy the question.

Since this happened to me. I thought I would pass it on. Now I'm sorry I tried to be helpful.

/ 1 ton dump truck #15  
in the northeastern states, a trailer make great sense for me. Having a trailer means you only pay the prorated fee registration when you ready to put on the road in the spring. this saves money. Having a dump truck in new York state means you MUST pay insurance for for whole year and registration for 2 full years. Sure you can save money by turning in the plates in fall to save money on insurance but you lose the registration money during first year and you can get refund for second year provided you didn't go past 1 year of registered date. :mad: this kinda a bummer and pain. I hate going to DAV. When you ready to put dump truck on road , you have to shop for insurance again then go in person to DAV for the plates in spring. No thanks!! with a trailer I can wait till spring and then renew on line and bam ! I am done. I am surprised on how little people actually buy trailers just because they have no space to put it.

forgot to add: reason I say we put trailers or dump away is due to seasonal use and most trailers are steel and its bad to use in the winter time due to salt. I dont see many dump trucker owners in the winter time since half of them are not used in snow clearing business. I have one trailer that i used in the winter time many times and it really rusty. I have some metal replacement and welding to do if i ever get my hobart welder working again.

/ 1 ton dump truck #16  
Yeah, a 1 ton dump would sure be fun to own. :D

I mentioned it to my insurance agent and anything 1 ton or more with dual rear wheels (dump, flatbed, etc.) needs to be on a commercial auto policy. The only "loop hole" I could find was on older (20 years or more old) dumps that can go on an antique auto type policy. But those policies really limit the mileage and use of said vehicle.

Another option is a 1 ton single rear wheel with a pickup box and dump insert. Around here I see quite a few 3/4 ton trucks with the pickup box and dump insert. I would think they would be very limited in capacity though. A dump trailer does make the most sense.

/ 1 ton dump truck #17  
I have an 07 Lincoln Mark LT ( a rebranded F150) with the 300hp 5.4 liter. Towing capacity is 9k. I also have a 12x6 10k dump trailer. I too was looking at dump trucks but the price of a good used one was approx 10k and a used 12x6 10k dump trailer was 4k. My mini excavator and BX24 do not have any problems loading material into the trailer where the dump truck is a bit more difficult (can not have side boards). The single most important thing with the trailer in your application is good brakes on both axles. I'm sure your truck is already pre-wired so you can just add the controller under the dash somewhere. With a full load my truck struggles a bit on take off to haul it but I take it easy, especially leaving plenty of room for stopping. You'll find a lot more uses for it that you think. The best part about it is when you're done with it you can just put it away and you won't have any problem trying to get rid of it.

/ 1 ton dump truck #18  
Yes of course, since the thread is named "1 ton dump truck". I thought it would be obvious what I meant.
--------And yes, the insurance agent will very likely ask you what is on the back. Because, your not going to lie and say you have a 1 ton pick up you want to insure. (that would be a really bad idea). So, when you say I have a truck, or a one ton truck, I want to insure, and they will ask what kind of truck? (The computer is going to have a list of choices they need to mark off), Answering "Chevy" is not going to satisfy the question.
---------Since this happened to me. I thought I would pass it on.
1*Now I'm sorry I tried to be helpful.
1*I'm not because you helped me.

Wouldn't a 1 ton dump truck be a different animal than a I ton pick up ?
This is why I brought it up.

L . B .

/ 1 ton dump truck #19  
I'm guessing he's referring to a one ton dump.
Although I've never attempted to insure such a vehicle, if the truck's a common domestic one ton truck, how will the insurance people know what kind of bed it has on it?

:confused:
Basing the insurance premium on the bed rather than basing it on how or what the truck is used for is an insurance industry rip off.

/ 1 ton dump truck #20  
Commercial insurance can get quite expensive. Farm insurance if you have it can be very reasonable. In PA, I used Farm Family. My dually was around 300 a year with everything on it. I also had my trailers as well as all of my farm equipment on the policy. It was Farm Family's policy that if you had any equipment of the property at all even an off road dump, it had to be listed but the costs were never prohibitive. I had a one million dollar umbrella policy too.

I now have my dually as well as my trailers on with Farm Bureau now. A bit more than Farm Family but still not bad.

From what I know, most automotive policies cover trailers for liability but not theft, etc. That is light duty trailers not something heavy duty. Don't think that you can play dumb with your agent about that ~12k trailer.