1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand?

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #201  
The deere compacts I looked at lately had the Global, nothing spl. about it.

SR

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #203  
Define "normal people"?
Also most people won't see 300K out of ANY vehicle.
And you don't have experience with owning and operating an EV so you are posting with emotion and not facts.
The Dodge pickups both have 250K on them right now. The Honda is at 135K, the Tacoma is at 120K.

If you live in the city and don't travel much, then ~10K miles a year is plenty but, in my case working as a Software/Electrical/Systems Engineer I routinely had >100K miles a year for several years between business commitments and personal travel.

With housing costs increasing, a lot of people in the suburbs are "normal people" commuting a lot of miles routinely. This isn't the 80's when everyone traded cars routinely and considered 100K miles the End Of Life. The number of Japanese cars around where I live with >200K miles is really surprising.

I have yet to see an EV with >100K miles on it. I have seen several with 60K~80K which were salvaged due to failed batteries here in Texas due to the exorbitant costs of a new battery pack.

If I lived in an urban area in a warmer part of the country, I could see a good EV as a viable option. However, commuting from the suburbs where mileage adds up quickly along with problematic charging access is a factor. Being able to put that coal-fired electricity pollution in someone else's backyard is advantageous but, when I can buy a good Economy gasoline sedan for half the cost, I still think that it is a better option.

In terms of "no experience", while I am not a fan to say I have no experience is simply wrong. Just because I don't currently own one and won't buy one does not mean I have no experience. I spent a lot of time in Europe where various EV's were common along with Mercedes and BMW sedans, typically diesel, with >300,000Km on the odometer. And, I will add that my friend "circle" has 3 Tesla's in it and one person is building a solar array to power a Model 3.

Hybrids are where I think technology is sufficiently developed and good enough to go mainstream for most normal people who live in urban areas and don't do many long distance (>200 miles) drives.

Finally, the failure in the marketplace of EV cars speaks for itself. Ford and General Motors have both taken huge financial losses and backed off the EV push. Even Billions of Federal Tax Dollars couldn't sway enough people to make EV automobiles a good choice for most "normal" people.

If you want to be an early adopter, don't let me stop you! I think I will wait until we have infrastructure support and better lifecycle costs before I jump on the EV bandwagon for "normal people" living a normal lifestyle. If I was in downtown Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, or similar massive urban gridlock areas, I think there is MORE merit to owning something like a Tesla 3.

In the meantime, I will take the lower tire costs and lower insurance costs and apply that to subsidizing the gasoline or diesel pump charges for my vehicles. I did turn down an offer of a Tesla 3 with 30K miles on it for $15K plus fees/taxes. Even at that price, for my lifestyle, it simply costs more than something like a Honda Accord 4-cylinder. My Honda Accord "sport" 4-cylinder with the 6-speed manual averages 35MPG driven somewhat aggressively in East Texas so, maybe not as Earth-friendly as a Tesla Model 3 on a Solar Array but, a heck of a lot more practical and sensible for most "normal" people.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #204  
The deere compacts I looked at lately had the Global, nothing spl. about it.

SR

They weren't compact enough, lol.

proxy-image

good thoughts to you, fellow member, & regards

I hope you understand that it was meant in good fun; I'd hoped the emoji had expressed that.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #205  
If you actually followed the EV discussions you would see that no EV owner posting in the thread (well maybe one) is claiming EV's are saving the environment. You would be foolish not to take advantage of $$ being given to you by fed and state gov to buy a new EV if you were in the market for a new car.

You do you, I'll do me. I can do the math and figure out if the EV with BIDENOMICS sways me to use Federal Tax Dollars to lower my transportation costs. One-time savings over lifetime costs need to be considered to make a sound financial decision.

The vitriol and negative comments about EV's come from those who don't own an EV, never owned an EV, and either don't like Elon Musk or believe EV's will be mandate in the near future. Generally the negative comments focus on Tesla and Elon and not many of the other EV brands.

Tesla is one "Western" company to make solid EV vehicles. The early Chevrolet EV1 and various Honda's ended up in the crusher. Ford and General Motors' options have been a huge flop in the marketplace EVEN WITH subsidies to sway buyers to get them.

To say you KNOW NOTHING because YOU DON'T OWN AN EV is simply biased and ignorant. I don't own an airplane either but, that doesn't mean I can't fly one and maintain it. I'm not an artist in the classic sense but, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it either!

Elon Musk is polarizing in Social Media. It is hard to deny what he has done and focusing on only the failures misses the big picture IMHO. In terms of an EV mandate, I simply don't believe it will be possible in the next 20 years. Beyond that is a total guess with our current national debt and our ability to invest in infrastructure.

I own a F250 diesel that I still need but my Tesla Y is the best car I've ever owned in 40 years.

I am glad it is working out well for you.

You do you and I'll do me. I'm fine with having different opinions based on different facts and experiences.

I'm out of this thread hi-jack at this point, PM me if you want to continue but, at this point I think I'm done ....

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #206  
Some of this looks like the Cat 0 3-points that aren't true Cat 0 and universal.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #207  
With all this sidetrack, I wonder where the OP is with their choice and if we have helped at all ... 🤣

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #209  
well said coffeedrinker.

I was not referring to JD's Quick Hitch, which I think is proprietary to their subcompacts and compacts.
I thought their "regular" hitch for larger tractors was the one that seemed simpler, smaller and tougher.
but then I haven't run a Deere since the B I grew up with. I'm with you Carl, as a teenager here in New Hope pulling a two bottom plow in the front fields in the 60's, smelling that wonderful dark musky smell of freshly turned over earth. More recently pulling a disc in NC, the smell wasn't the same, soil was sandy and didn't smell as much.

one tech achievement JD had that might sway someone, perhaps like me with bad arthritis who finds pto connectors to be greasy and difficult, the ability
to have the pto automatically hook up seemed like a very cool idea. I always wondered if it worked, and how many were wrecked by trying to connect at wrong angle.

many of us have found that one tractor is not enough, you need a big one and a smaller one. If you want to work in the woods, having a giant cab tractor actually is a liability. So no matter what, you may have to compromise. Mowing is easy, anything will do that, even the really old stuff.
but if you want to do woodlot work, what a difference I found going from a 3 ton tractor to a 5 ton. The power and stability and FEL lift was at another level.
Sometimes that extra weight makes it safer. Just not by running your R1's over your wife's favorite mint patch...

if you like tractors, hard to have just one... ;)

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #210  
For me, the worst was trying to buy "one tractor" in the middle. My L-4600 was too big for some things and too small for others. It was actually dangerous for most of my loader lifts which were not on even flat land. And mowing around obstacles left a lot to mow with something else.

I added a B2601 first and it is a much better mow and chore tractor. Easy to use in barns, around parked vehicles and implements, etc. The rear mounted finish mower was a real game changer for me too, not so much a fan of the mid-mount mower. Then I added the Massey 5711D which is on another level for loader work plus, the rotary mower work is super nice with the cab and all that PTO HP, along with other stuff like running a 150 Gallon 3-pt sprayer, tiller, etc.

The OP seems to be sort of in this position as well with a tractor too big for some stuff and, just right for other things. A solid smaller tractor is likely a sweet spot for them assuming 2 tractors isn't one too many!