1 week service?

/ 1 week service? #11  
I think it's pretty common for dealerships to do stuff like this nowadays. In the long run, it increases their chances of making money from unsuspecting dupes. I know plenty of people that get taken in by the "free" courtesy services dealers offer. Anytime they can get you in the door and get their hands on your car, it increases the chance they will get their hands on your wallet.

One of our dealers offers free state inspections (the mandatory annual inspections would otherwise cost me $16). First time I took them up on the offer they wasted my time trying to upsell on a whole bunch of other stuff unrelated to the inspection, and unnecessary. I won't do that again, free or not.

The state inspection burns my hide since I do all my own maintenance other than warranty/recall work. So even with well cared-for cars, I have to waste time taking them in once a year for the state inspection. Minimum it wastes 1-2 hours of my time for each car. I normally use an independent shop near my work, who are honest and quick, but it's still a couple hours of my time I'd otherwise not be doing.

I also need an annual state inspection on my trailer (any trailer over a certain gross weight and/or with brakes needs it). That I can accept. Though it boggles my mind how many unsafe trailers I see being towed around. Either they are skirting the law, or they found lax inspectors.