10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck?

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #1  

ddivinia

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75
Does anybody run their wheel rake behind a truck. I figured i could get m y wife to rake for me if she was in the AC with the 2 kids. Dodge 4wd diesel - should be high enough not ot set anything on fire, etc.

I might just hook it to the 4720 (open station) and drive it myself. We have 100 acres to cut rake and bale. The 5525 cab will be used for the cutting and baling. Of course, I could just do it all with the 5525 - might be the easiest.

Comments?

D.

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #2  
Sounds like a plan- wife is watching kids, she's in A/C, and the field gets raked. I would be concerned about fire but a tractor occasionally throws sparks we dont see it in the daytime.

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #3  
I would be worried if it has a catalytic converter, since it can get very hot and cause grass fires. The view isn't as good as in a tractor and no hydraulics. Also driving through a windrow will sometimes catch on the driveline and wad up quickly.

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck?
mlauk said:
I would be worried if it has a catalytic converter, since it can get very hot and cause grass fires. The view isn't as good as in a tractor and no hydraulics. Also driving through a windrow will sometimes catch on the driveline and wad up quickly.

my 05 Dodget does have a cat on it. It sits rather high. I suspect I will just get a buddy to come over and run my smaller tractor. The hydraulics aren't that big a deal, but might as well put the ole 4720 to work.

I suspect we will be getting another cab tractor at some point so we can both be working and have a kid with each of us in the training seat.

It is going to have to wait for now, but a JD 5603 sure looks like a good one.

D.

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #5  
A farmer south of me pullls a rake that folds in the middle with a Polaris Ranger or uses his 4 wheeler. He says it uses little fuel, isn't a lot of pull on the atv, rides smooth enough and he says it is easier to get on and off than a tractor or truck. He has a little hydraulic pump powered by a 10 horse briggs that he uses on his seed wagons behind hi struck, he just puts it on the back of whatever he uses for the rake and away he goes.

Yeah, I bet my Ranger Crew would pull it without an issue. Pulling multiple rows together could be an issue.

D.

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #7  
it's probably going to be a rough ride!

RobJ said:
it's probably going to be a rough ride!

What will be - pulling with the Ranger Crew? Man, that long wheelbase - it rides way better than my Gator HPX.

I figure I will end up raking with my 4720.

D.

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #9  
The guy up the road likes using the Ranger because it is heavy enough with his hydraulic unit to ride smooth plus he has room for his grandson and a cooler in the back.

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #10  
I'll admit to doing this, but be careful, I got some hay wrapped up in the prop shaft at the rear axle and it wound up in the pinion seal, which then went bad.

If you have a 2" hitch receiver, it makes sense to run it offset so you only drive on raked ground. A bit of square tube, some reinforcement plate is all you would need. That should remove fire and tangle fears. Actually, vehicles are tested now adays for fire contact temps and have shields intended to reduce this hazard.

I've also used my 4 wheeler to pull a NH-56 rake with a hitch dolly. Need cruise control for this mode. Thumb gets awful sore...