1000 ft water line

/ 1000 ft water line #51  
I have briefly looked into the HDE pipe I will keep researching it , I know the price is double but it might have more benefits that make it worth it

The coiled HDPE pipe is the way to go. It is very flexible compared to PVC. PVC dos not take the stress of uneven ground, backfilling, an compaction. PVC, you have a vulnerable spot called a coupling, every 20'. I think the 2" (I consider as minimum for your application) HDPE is available in at least 100' rolls, possibly more if you have a way to handle. Roll it out and let it set a couple days to relax the curls before backfilling. I would either use welded connections or the mechanical joint connectors. Lots of info on the web.

Ron

/ 1000 ft water line #52  
what's the main difference between PEX and standard polyethylene pipe. They seem to have similar prices. Is one better than the other for underground water service line? I also can't find anything specific on how the pipe is clamped onto larger (2 inch) fittings. I know smaller (1/2-1") PEX have various versions of crimp rings but haven't seen anything similar for 1 1/2-2" pipe. I'd think for burred pipe you'll need SS clamps to reduce corrosion

/ 1000 ft water line #53  
I rented a backhoe for mine and the company put a 12 inch bucket on for me.
IMG_1911.JPG
IMG_1916.JPG

It was surprising what the thing was bringing up!
IMG_1913.JPG

Though I rented it for a week, most of the actual trenching was done in a day and a half. I dug out stumps with the remainder of the time.

IMG_1890.JPG

/ 1000 ft water line #54  
Pex is a more flexible, forgiving,tougher product,it does not get brittle as others can.We join rolls together with brass couplers(unions).But it's important to use a stainless insert in each end of pipe to avoid any chance of crushing,or distortion. The insert is just a round sleeve that fits snuggly inside and gas a flared end so it stays put.Very user friendly. Any plumbing supply (industrial) place should have them in stock.

/ 1000 ft water line #55  
what's the main difference between PEX and standard polyethylene pipe. They seem to have similar prices. Is one better than the other for underground water service line? I also can't find anything specific on how the pipe is clamped onto larger (2 inch) fittings. I know smaller (1/2-1") PEX have various versions of crimp rings but haven't seen anything similar for 1 1/2-2" pipe. I'd think for burred pipe you'll need SS clamps to reduce corrosion

PEX can't take sunlight, it USED to be a lot more expensive and required special tools. Still can't take sunlight. I had a 400' project main to house replacing "leaking like a sieve" 3/4 PVC. And like I wrote:
<snip>
So we got the water running with no new costs, total cost for water was about $1050, that included plumber and helper for 3 hours, excavator, operator and helper for 4 hours, 500' of 3/4 PEX, and probably about $50 to $100 of Sharkbite fittings and 12 gauge tracer wire.<snip>.

/ 1000 ft water line
Thanks everyone, the local pipe manufacturer will sell me 1000' coils for .82 cents that means I will only have a couple connections which is good. Between all the snow and the monsoon we are getting today I doubt I will be trenching anytime in the next week but at least I have found everything I need, HDPE pipe and another company that sells the fittings. Trencher broke down but it is fixed and ready to go just hoping for some drier weather. We are still 3-4 weeks out on getting the main put in but was told I can go ahead and do the water line and backfill it and they will hook it up so as soon as we dry out a little I'll be digging.

Lenny, that backhoe looks like fun, I will probably be renting one to do a few projects around the farm when it warms up. I have plenty of stumps and other things I could use it on for a couple of days, that's cool they gave you a 12 inch bucket most around here are 3ft which is way to much for a waterline. I'm still trying to level out the ground from where I buried a 970ft electric line. It is more difficult to fill it back in and grade it properly than I was anticipating

/ 1000 ft water line #57  
Planning to replace 1400 ft of 2 pvc waterline that we installed 22 yrs ago. We snaked around whatever rock we ran into with backhoe that were to big to dig out. Planned to rent Vermeer rockwheel this summer to run a straight line to drive way. Thinking about setting 2 runs of pipe Incase 1 springs a leak. 1403 ft in straight line to driveway. Had a leak last summer in the section that runs under driveway to the house.( 285 ft) pushed 1 pex thru 2 pvc line and fixed the problem. So wanting to replace remaining waterline before I get another 1200. Water Bill and then have to fix in a hurry

/ 1000 ft water line #58  
Ch47, you might look for uponor in your area. Fittings are a bit more expensive but they are full flow. Standard pex uses inserts which gives you a reduced ID. For the 2" stuff you will want to rent the expansion tool. For the smaller stuff you can rent a tool or buy the Milwaukee or DeWalt version.

/ 1000 ft water line #59  
Ch47, you might look for uponor in your area. Fittings are a bit more expensive but they are full flow. Standard pex uses inserts which gives you a reduced ID. For the 2" stuff you will want to rent the expansion tool. For the smaller stuff you can rent a tool or buy the Milwaukee or DeWalt version.

I like the Uponor (ProPEX) fitting system. Does anyone see issues with using "plastic" connectors for underground connections. They make brass but a lot more $$$ plus it seems that they are limited on what they offer. My only connections besides start and end will be reducing tee's in the middle for things like garden and sprinkler system. I only found non-reducing tee's in Brass. Just found out the Milwaukee 2432-22XC expander ($459) has an awesome rebate. If you order it by April 30th you get 2 free 18v items (heat gun, PVC shear and 18v Battery, a $390 value) . The 2432 charger will also work with the 18v system(I believe)

Last edited: