1000 Hr Engine Service

/ 1000 Hr Engine Service #1  

Curly69

Bronze Member
Tractor
2006 JD 2305
Good day all.
If ya remember last yr I loaned out my tractor and the trans fluid came back Fried (Black) and the forward valve was bad. I replaced the fluid, filter, and cleaned the screen three times since and all seems OK. Was ran in 90* heat for days with broken trans fan.
I am coming up on 1000 hours (980) and have notice a slight loss of power when mowing. Not bogging like with the trans issue. Just not like new.:eek:
Anyway how bad is the 1000 hr engine service. I've read about valve adjustment and injector cleaning? Can this be a cause of power loss? I also noticed it runs a little rich, slight smoke at start up which I never got before. ALWAYS starts on 1st or 2nd turn though(GREAT)!

I do use Power Service Diesel Supplement with every tank of fuel from day one.

Last edited:
   / 1000 Hr Engine Service #2  
Anyway how bad is the 1000 hr engine service. I've read about valve adjustment and injector cleaning?

How bad? Do you mean:

How expensive?
How long?
How hard?
???

:wrench:

/ 1000 Hr Engine Service
How bad? Do you mean:

How expensive? WOW forget about new $$injectors$$
How long? Yes to do myself and the cleaning process.
How hard? I can do nearly anything mechanical so yes?
???

Thank you.

/ 1000 Hr Engine Service #4  
Not new injectors. Just 'cleaning' if necessary. Smoke is the diagnostic here. Not usually necessary.

How long? Mostly the same as any 200 hr service. You are changing oil and filter. Replace air filter (outer) if dirty but it can be blown out once or twice.
Fuel filter is visible in the sight glass. You decide if water or dirt means it needs replacing. If filter element is still a light tan colour you can leave it for next time.
Blow out radiator, check coolant, battery and apply protectant to terminals... Check adjust fan belt.

Nothing hard there and should be less than an hour. While oil is draining you can open up the rocker cover and check the valve clearances. You may not need to adjust them at all.

At this stage you are 2 hours into the job and will know if you have to spend another 50-60 minutes to adjust 6 x Rocker Clearances and reassemble.

Buy a rocker cover gasket (rubber) as yours will need replacing if you get into the valves.

Nothing too difficult there at all really.
Good luck,

/ 1000 Hr Engine Service #5  
P.s. Cleaning injectors is not something you would attempt at home. You can remove them if needed, protect the nozzle tips, and send them to a diesel shop for cleaning and spray pattern testing, calibration etc. Get local quotes before-hand.

As I say above - Injectors rarely need removal at 1000 hrs.

Regards,

/ 1000 Hr Engine Service
Not new injectors. Just 'cleaning' if necessary. Smoke is the diagnostic here. Not usually necessary.

How long? Mostly the same as any 200 hr service. You are changing oil and filter. Replace air filter (outer) if dirty but it can be blown out once or twice.
Fuel filter is visible in the sight glass. You decide if water or dirt means it needs replacing. If filter element is still a light tan colour you can leave it for next time.
Blow out radiator, check coolant, battery and apply protectant to terminals... Check adjust fan belt.

Nothing hard there and should be less than an hour. While oil is draining you can open up the rocker cover and check the valve clearances. You may not need to adjust them at all.

At this stage you are 2 hours into the job and will know if you have to spend another 50-60 minutes to adjust 6 x Rocker Clearances and reassemble.

Buy a rocker cover gasket (rubber) as yours will need replacing if you get into the valves.

Nothing too difficult there at all really.
Good luck,

Thank you
All the reg maintenance is done every yr regardless of hours. Fuel filter, oil and filter, air cleaners and such. I was just thinking of the power loss and the 1000 hrs.
I will read up on the valve adjustment? As far as the injectors I will have to check locally on cleaning and testing.

/ 1000 Hr Engine Service #7  
Check your mower deck for any binding in the spindles which may be draining power? Dull blades... Idler pulley bearings freely turning? PTO shaft, gearbox etc?

/ 1000 Hr Engine Service #8  
My 2305 started with a puff of black smoke and got progressively worse. This winter it bogged down twice while plowing snow at 1800rpm. 425 hours on it. Looked at fuel filter. Didn't look bad but was dark brown. Removed it and there was some black slime in the pleats. Replaced and filled bowl 1/2 way with Seafoam and added 1oz of Seafoam per gallon of diesel in the tank. Cranked until it started and ran it for 5 minutes. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then mowed the lawn. Now it starts like new with a very slight puff of white smoke.