1025R - Probelm shifting into Low or High gear

/ 1025R - Probelm shifting into Low or High gear #1  

hauserc

Tractor
1025r
I just purchased a new 1025r with loader and backhoe. I am having a problem shifting from a stopped position from neutral to high or low gear. The lever just won't budge. This happens whether the tractor is on or off. Sometimes it works perfectly and I have no problems. It goes into high or low like butter. Very smooth. However, Other times, I can shift into low but can't shift into high. Other times, I can shift into high but can't shift it into low. It seems if I rock the tractor with my weight a little forward and back, that seems to help a little. This condition seems to happen on flat surfaces and on sloped surfaces and regardless of whether the tractor is warm or cold. It's almost as if some adjustment is off (I hope). Is there something that I should be doing before I engage High or Low gear or should it freely shift into high or low range. I was recently at the county fair where there was a display of JD tractors. The display was put on by the same dealer I purchased my tractor from. There was a 1025r there. So I went over to it to see if it would shift from neutral to high or low. It shifted right into high but would not go into low no matter how much I tried. So it seems like this other new 1025r has the same issue. So I am thinking maybe there is something I am supposed to be doing before shifting it into gear. Or maybe there is some adjustment that the dealer needs to be making pre-delivery. I have a call into the dealer but they cannot come out for several days. I would hate to have them come out if it is something I am not doing right. Anyone else have this problem or know what could be wrong. Thanks for the help.

/ 1025R - Probelm shifting into Low or High gear #2  
No adjustment. Seems all hydros will do this.

It shifted right into high but would not go into low no matter how much I tried.

What do you mean by "no matter how much I tried"?
You definitely do not want to force the lever.
Best practice to get it into gear is to have just a bit of hand pressure on the lever,while gently putting pressure on one of the forward/reverse pedals. Works every time.:thumbsup:

Greg

/ 1025R - Probelm shifting into Low or High gear #3  
+1 to above advice. True for both our 1025R & 3038E...

Nick

/ 1025R - Probelm shifting into Low or High gear #5  
Let the tractor roll a hair and it should go in gear. The gears are just not aligning.

/ 1025R - Probelm shifting into Low or High gear #6  
Don't force it!! If it doesn't want to change gears, try rocking one of the HST pedals lightly, then try shifting again. All tractors I've driven with HST are a little finicky like this -- you really just need to tweak the meshing of the gears to get them to shift.