1025R Tires Splitting/Cracking @ Sidewall - - Fluid Filled

/ 1025R Tires Splitting/Cracking @ Sidewall - - Fluid Filled #1  

snpower

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere GT235, GT 275, 1025R
I've had to replace my R4 tires due to splitting and cracking on the sidewall. They are ten years old; the tire shop was of the opinion that filling them with fluid was the culprit, that they aren't designed to take that much weight. I've not hear this and was curious as to what other owners think or have experienced? I had to get R1's made by Carlise... R4 is not available/no longer available?

/ 1025R Tires Splitting/Cracking @ Sidewall - - Fluid Filled #2  
IDK...Tractor parked outside in the sun? I have filled tires no cracks.

/ 1025R Tires Splitting/Cracking @ Sidewall - - Fluid Filled #3  
I'm not sure why a tire shop would have trouble finding R4 tires for 26x12-12.
As far as the sidewalls cracking that's not uncommon unfortunately.
Were the tires fill over 3/4 full of fluid, they should not be filled over the valve stem with it at 12 o'clock.
As far as 26x12-12 tires;
1708020680615.png

/ 1025R Tires Splitting/Cracking @ Sidewall - - Fluid Filled #4  
I have 25 year old filled R4's, with no splitting/cracking. I did have to replace the tubes ~15 years ago and will do the same this spring. The calcium chloride rots out the valve cores.

/ 1025R Tires Splitting/Cracking @ Sidewall - - Fluid Filled #5  
What are they filled with? I’ve never heard of them being filled causing that.

/ 1025R Tires Splitting/Cracking @ Sidewall - - Fluid Filled
They were filled with the rimguard product, by the dealer I purchased it from. They were not filled over the valve stem.

/ 1025R Tires Splitting/Cracking @ Sidewall - - Fluid Filled #7  
I would not fill a tire with putting a tube in first. I've seen no damage to the rubber tubes from CaCl, just the metal valve cores eventually rotting out.

/ 1025R Tires Splitting/Cracking @ Sidewall - - Fluid Filled #8  
Me thinks your tire shop is full of it. Wanting to sell you something else. Find a second opinion (which you are getting here) and find a different tire shop. They likely believe they are right, but doesn't fit with my experience.
Original tires on my '98 tractor and filled, but no splitting or cracking. Reason I think, is they don't sit out in the sun/weather.
Cracking is just another cost of not having a shed to park your tractor. Tires probably cheaper. ;);)

My tractor sits in a shed. I bought it used, 3 years ago... so who knows prior.

So here's the next thought... I use a Heavy Hitch with 8 x 45 (or so) John Deere weights on it. Is it detrimental to leave that much ballast on the machine all the time?