1025R vs Ventrac/Steiner for slopes

/ 1025R vs Ventrac/Steiner for slopes #1  

ShowroomShine

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Case IH 55A
I have purchased 42 acres of farm land in the mountains of VA with about 5-7 acres of pasture being on some moderate to severe slopes that will need mowing a few times a year.

On the 9 acre flat farm I have now I currently run;

1025R with loader and mmm - Used for lawn mowing and general small tractor and horse work.

Case IH 75C cab - My large machine for mowing, lifting, driveway maint etc.

Takeuchi TB240 excavator - General work and brush hogging with the front mower.

I’m going into the first mowing season on my new land and am trying to figure out what direction to take for maintenance. I plan to do majority of mowing with the 75C on flatter ground, but the slopes I plan to try tbe 1025R with spacers on it first to see how it does.

Thought about a Ventrac or Steiner to replace the 1025R for mowing duties on the yard and slopes portions. I know it will be better on the slopes but how much “better” than the 1025R with spacers is the question. A Ventrac is an extreme cost investment from what it looks like that won’t be as capable as the 1025R, but better on slopes for sure.

Just want some thoughts on the difference in slope mowing from something like a 1025R to a Ventrac or Steiner.

/ 1025R vs Ventrac/Steiner for slopes #2  
Tractor Time with Tim has done quite a few videos on Youtube showcasing both the Ventrac and the 1 series Deere mowing slopes. I agree the Ventrac seems to be more of a one trick pony on the surface, but it has a surprising amount of available attachments. Kind of like choosing "tractor" or "skidsteer", the Ventrac comes with a huge $ increase for doing normal "tractor" things, but when we start talking about real slopes, (Ventrac) it is the choice to be sure.

Thankfully, my ground is very flat here, so I don't need one. I do like the power rake attachment for one though. Makes the Ventrac appealing whether slopes or no.

/ 1025R vs Ventrac/Steiner for slopes #3  
Severe slope ventrac with duals will be much more stable than 1025 with spacers.

If it is farm land could you just fence and pasture during the summer vs mowing?

/ 1025R vs Ventrac/Steiner for slopes #4  
Steiner 420 here. I've cut slopes with mine that the FarmPro 2420 would cut but would feel like it's going to fall over. Steiner wins the slope contest. Is your safety important is the question. Money sounds like the question more to you.

/ 1025R vs Ventrac/Steiner for slopes #5  
1025R with loader and mmm - Used for lawn mowing and general small tractor and horse work.
I plan to do majority of mowing with the 75C on flatter ground, but the slopes I plan to try tbe 1025R with spacers on it first to see how it does.
I have spacers on my massey 1723E (similar in size to your 1025R) plus I have the wheels fluid filled. This helps quite a bit and feels more solid on the slopes.
I tested it on the slopes I mow by rocking it back and forth to see what it would do (nothing was on fellas). It did great but get your wheels filled or wheel weights.
Thought about a Ventrac or Steiner to replace the 1025R for mowing duties on the yard and slopes portions. I know it will be better on the slopes but how much “better” than the 1025R with spacers is the question. A Ventrac is an extreme cost investment from what it looks like that won’t be as capable as the 1025R, but better on slopes for sure.
Just want some thoughts on the difference in slope mowing from something like a 1025R to a Ventrac or Steiner.
I don't know about better. I had a steiner 420 with 60" deck plus the leveling springs that were supposed to make it better. That thing did nothing but crab on the slopes. I was always sideways with it. I hated that thing and yes I felt unsafe on it. I love, love, love my tractor on my hills now. It feels more solid and planted on the ground. Better than that Steiner. I don't crab on my tractor now. Someone mentioned dual wheels, well try dual wheels on your tractor. $20,000 for a base stiener and more for a ventrac is ridiculous and that is not counting the mowing deck and other crap you need. I am very familiar with Steiner and Ventrac they used to make them around here. Now they are just ugly. I don't know how steep your hills are but I have some steep ones. Mow up and down is the safest way.
One other thing, when mowing take that front end loader off. That thing will give you problems on hills and makes it top heavy. I can take off and put on my loader in less than 5 minutes but it is off most of the time anyway.

Last edited:
   / 1025R vs Ventrac/Steiner for slopes #6  
I have purchased 42 acres of farm land in the mountains of VA with about 5-7 acres of pasture being on some moderate to severe slopes that will need mowing a few times a year.

I’m going into the first mowing season on my new land and am trying to figure out what direction to take for maintenance. I plan to do majority of mowing with the 75C on flatter ground, but the slopes I plan to try tbe 1025R with spacers on it first to see how it does.

I have never mowed with a small tractor like the 1025r but I have mowed with a ventrac. The ventrac will mow circles around the 1025r even on flat ground. Then you add in the lower center of gravety of the ventrac and hills no longer are an issue. This is even before you consider the dual wheel slope kit.

I have mowed with a ventrac with dual wheels on very very steep slopes before and not for a second did I ever think it was going to tip. I even purposely mowed sideways and it just crab walked across the slope.

/ 1025R vs Ventrac/Steiner for slopes #7  

Depends on the slope, I guess. I will say though, a 60" mmm deck does quite a bit to lower your center of gravity. So with that and wheel spacers, you might do alright. Definitely detach the loader for mowing.

I got some slopes here, would mow with my massey scut and a 60" mmm, never felt unsafe doing it. I don't have wheel spacers either.

/ 1025R vs Ventrac/Steiner for slopes #8  

I’m going into the first mowing season on my new land and am trying to figure out what direction to take for maintenance. I plan to do majority of mowing with the 75C on flatter ground, but the slopes I plan to try the 1025R with spacers on it first to see how it does.

If the slope is above 15 degrees horizontal it is much
safer to mow down and back up to mow in the lowest speed
with R-4 tires.

You would want to have loaded rears and a front weight kit to allow
you to have adequate traction while backing up.
The problem is your tires; you really need R2 Ag tires if you are intent
on doing this not the R-4 construction tread tires.

You can have a wide stance power unit and still slide and roll over if it
gains traction as the momentum may be enough to cause it to roll.

If you are going to mow it a few times a year your going to have a lot
of grass and brush clippings that are going to allow you to quickly slide
where you do not want to go.

It would be better to rent a slope mower from a slope mower dealer or a
radio control track drive mower from an alamo dealer to do this.

/ 1025R vs Ventrac/Steiner for slopes #9  

Best tractor I've found on hills is a Mahindra 1626 with loaded rear tires. R-4 industrial tires. Not sure why. Something with the rear end design and wheelbase is all I can come up with.

/ 1025R vs Ventrac/Steiner for slopes #10  
1 of my places has some slopes that are at 45° angle, some in the 35 range. I use to own a jd 2210 4wd . I cut the banks going face down not sideways. had wheel weights , would go back to the top face forward but at a lesser step spot . the banks aren't terribly long ( probably 60 ft at the most 25 ft at the least) I'm lucky enough to have a somewhat flat ridge at the top to drive across to get the next path going. I now cut it with my zero turn doing the same thing. 1 important thing to keep in mind is you want the ground to be fairly dry. because doing so in wet grass you do tend to pick up speed towards the bottom lol.