1026r rear mower vs deck mower?

/ 1026r rear mower vs deck mower? #12  
I pretty much did what you are contemplating with my 2210, the early predecessor to the 1026R. It is less hp and lower to the ground than its big brothers, but you will not be dissapointed. I used mine for 10 years and tamed the perimeter, graded the rough field on which my house was built, hauled fire wood, moved heavy post and beam structural members, built a garden, graded after a barn was put up, cut the 3acre lawn(62c mid mount), moved snow, and graded and surfaced a very long processed drive---all without being dissatisfied in my choice.

I am moving up to a bigger machine now, because it is time for a new toy. I am likely going to be into a 2520 or 2720 within the next 10 days, and truely have some concern that bigger may not necessarily be better for my tmaed property now. But, I decided to make the move and I'm not turning back!. I can say that you will truely get a lot out of your machine--enjoy it!!!

/ 1026r rear mower vs deck mower? #13  
I prefer a RFM. Mostly for the reasons you have already stated.

/ 1026r rear mower vs deck mower?
I pretty much did what you are contemplating with my 2210, the early predecessor to the 1026R. It is less hp and lower to the ground than its big brothers, but you will not be dissapointed. I used mine for 10 years and tamed the perimeter, graded the rough field on which my house was built, hauled fire wood, moved heavy post and beam structural members, built a garden, graded after a barn was put up, cut the 3acre lawn(62c mid mount), moved snow, and graded and surfaced a very long processed drive---all without being dissatisfied in my choice.

I am moving up to a bigger machine now, because it is time for a new toy. I am likely going to be into a 2520 or 2720 within the next 10 days, and truely have some concern that bigger may not necessarily be better for my tmaed property now. But, I decided to make the move and I'm not turning back!. I can say that you will truely get a lot out of your machine--enjoy it!!!

THANK U THANK U! :cool2: I was gonna go to bed doubtful.......I needed this to regain confidence in my decision! D-DAY is tomorrow....5 yrs at 0 %........ I owe, I owe, I owe ...... off to work I go!

I'll post pics when she arrives!

:thumbsup:

LJ

small45.jpg

a shot of my "project"

I agree with this post.^^^^^^

Seems to be a common problem for most homeowners. First you need a larger machine to get the work done, I would go with a 2720 200cx fel, weighted tires and boxblade and/or landplane for smoothing, grading and landscape work. When it is all done you might be better served with a zero turn or x700 series mower.

I make a large part of my income working over landscapes, grading, shaping, tilling and contouring. It seems to me after doing this for several years that a small compact is the best choice for this work. It needs to be heavy enough to get the dirt work done. When you mow with a heavy tractor your lawn will look worse after a season of mowing and tracking up. In a nutshell it is hard to build landscapes and mow with the same tractor.

If it were me I would go with a 2520 or 2720 and 200cx for the tractor work and tough out the mowing with the 300R for another year or so. When you have your landscape work completed and are left with finish mowing you can change the tractor setup over to a mowing rig at that time. You should be able to have a lawn that is smooth enough to use a 72" mmm or 3ph rear grooming mower.

THANKS!!!
Good info...I greatly appreciate it....lol @ payments! (my second name) :laughing:

UPDATE;

I tried the 1026r yesterday and given that I need it for winter snow work...I tried it in the snow. I was not impressed...the little tires got the machine stuck almost immediately. I got out w/the loader quite fine but I must be 100% happy and confident with my new investment. I really appreciate the advice from you guys. What do you think of this unit?

John Deere 3320 - Winnipeg Farming Equipment For Sale - Kijiji Winnipeg Canada.

again...thanks a bunch!

/ 1026r rear mower vs deck mower? #18  
I totally agree that you need to go to 30 hp for the project you showed. Below that you are going to spend a lot of time with very little value added. The 3320 is so much more. You need to be in the CUT series not the SCUT for what you want to do.

/ 1026r rear mower vs deck mower? #19  
I have Both mowers. The BX2200 has a 60" MMM and the L3800 Has a Phoenix 72" rear discharge mower. I wish I could use the rear mount mower all the time. Up around the house the MMM does a better job. One thing I really like is the rear discharge of the bigger mower not only leaves a better looking yard/field but grass doesn't seem to build up under the deck as much. The side discharge MMM I think we are all familiar with how much work it is to clean those up. Also blade changes are much easier on a rear mount mower.

/ 1026r rear mower vs deck mower? #20  
UPDATE;

I tried the 1026r yesterday and given that I need it for winter snow work...I tried it in the snow. I was not impressed...the little tires got the machine stuck almost immediately. I got out w/the loader quite fine but I must be 100% happy and confident with my new investment. I really appreciate the advice from you guys. What do you think of this unit?

John Deere 3320 - Winnipeg Farming Equipment For Sale - Kijiji Winnipeg Canada.

again...thanks a bunch!

I suspect you will find the 3320 will do a much better job of taming your landscape. I think you would be alot happier with this setup particulaly with the increase in physical size and the 3 range ehydro transmission.