105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage?

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #51  
Base weight of the tractor is 5389 lb, as it is the HST version. The filled tires add 1300#. The FEL adds 1450# with the stock bucket. The 4-way bucket weighs about 800# more than the stock bucket. It is really stout. It can slice off 3" tree branches with the force of its jaws. I have added some tools to the toolbox, and a chainsaw holder. That nudges the weight just over 9000#, before I get on it, with no rear attachment. But I always have at least a quick hitch on the rear. My 8' bushhhog weighs 1350.

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #52  
I checked with a few tire manufacturers. Though I did not check all, none that I checked endorse tire dressings. Some outright say that such dressings will void the tire warranty.

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #53  
Tire manufacturers and the DOT say that the recommended useful life of tires be considered as 6-8 years. I think on farm equipment you can stretch it a bit, as it is low speed equipment. But if it has cracks, I would replace it just to avoid dealing with a flat tire in the middle of the field. (In my case, it may be in the woods, which is even less convenient). You should never use such old tires on stock trailers operating at highway speed on the road. They can easily explode. In fact, I have had many trailer tires explode that were only 2-3 years old, and they were not overloaded. I kept the speed below 65 mph, too.

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #54  
Somebody must have forgot to tell a lot of tires that I currently have on tractors and equipment, stock trailers etc that they are no good after 10 years because I have a bunch that are older than that and I am still getting good service out of them.

Not trying to start a fight but tires degrade over time. Especially if kept out in the sun a lot. Just the nature of the materials. With heavy loads, high temps, and 80mph runs on the highway we seldom get 7 years, usually way less. Often still have good tread. Those getting more are fortunate :)

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #55  
It's all how you take care of tires and UV exposure. I have 15 year old tires that look like new and tractor is in the barn when not in use. I have seen lots of 40 or 50year old ties still chugging along. On the downside, I have seen underinflated, sun bleached trailer tires that I would be reluctant to use on a hay wagon. That's life.

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #56  
I wish I had a barn to put it in. Sun is definitely the enemy of tires.

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #57  
I wish I had a barn to put it in. Sun is definitely the enemy of tires.

Years ago, I wished I had a barn and didn't do it for lots of reasons and most were money. Looking back, my free and harmless advice would be to do whatever it takes to get equipment under cover. You don't have to build a Taj Mahal first time around. Scrounge some sheet metal and nail some boards to a tree will be better than nothing. Many studies how that the cost of machinery housing is more than offset by the increased sale prices realized when that equipment is sold. That's what time has taught me.

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #58  
I agree. I did invest in a custom-fitted cover. Set me back about $450. A carport-like barn will be about $2000; more if it has sides on it. I pretty much ran out of money when I bought the tractor.

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #59  
I agree. I did invest in a custom-fitted cover. Set me back about $450. A carport-like barn will be about $2000; more if it has sides on it. I pretty much ran out of money when I bought the tractor.

I saw a decent one built in snowy New England. The guy built a modified lean-to with some hand cut cedar poles hand dug into the ground plus bracing from nearby trees, a simple roof structure for snow load and covered with free blue tarps and carpet roll plastic. A little bracing, replacement tarps occasionally and it worked really well for several years. Not perfect but mostly free and it did the job. Think outside the box and just my two cents.

I'll bet there are lots of plans on the net. Brace for winds if in the open.

/ 105hp 2wd or 85hp 4wd for Tillage? #60  
Here you go. Build this framework out of cut trees, standing trees and second hand lumber. "Strap" the roof for sheathing and wrap the whole thing in free or Harbor Freight tarps or trashed industrial waste shipping plastic. It's thick and works. Open side goes to the east around here. Cross brace it. You could even just set the posts on concrete pads and earth anchor things down for the wind.

shed.jpg

Cost to build:

Beer and brats: $35
Favors called in: 4
Band Aids: $5
Bragging rights: Priceless :D

Last edited: