10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip #11  
   / 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip #12  
Sideways on the flatbed:thumbsup:

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip #13  
Sounds like a few votes for each option. I'd take the trailer, I agree it would not be fun to get there without it and find out you need it.

Bring as many 4x4, 6x6 or whatever blocks you've got laying around too. Either way take some photos and let us know how your road trip went!

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip #14  
Why own a trailer and leave it home when picking up a piece that you KNOW FULL WELL won't fit on the truck?
Without folding up the hitch and axle, the cutter is probably close to 12 feet from hitch to back of the wheels. Loaded sideways on the trailer, the cutter's deck will probably fit between the fenders.

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip #15  
I would not want it on the truck bed. I would take the trailer no matter what and lots of cribbing to get it over the fenders. He!!, that is what you bought the trailer for, to haul crap.

For loading I would have both guys with FEL's pick it up with chains then back the trailer under it. I have done 1000 gallon propane tanks that way and many other big items and 2 tractors is the only way to go to prevent tearing up the cargo or trailer.

Chris

DP: you've got the right idea. Here's how Dave Siemens (Daves Tractor) delivered a 13-ft wheel disc to my place a year or so ago. He had to remove the hitch assembly so the disc wouldn't overhang the side of the trailer to much.

DSCF0122 (Small).JPGDSCF0123 (Small).JPGDSCF0127 (Small).JPGDSCF0128 (Small).JPG

Dave brought a fork lift and I supplied the Mahindra 5525 with FEL to lift the disc so the trailer could be moved out from underneath. Worked like a charm.

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip #16  
I was thinking you would have fenders to deal with on a equipment trailer, if you have a deck over, take the trailer.

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip
Why own a trailer and leave it home when picking up a piece that you KNOW FULL WELL won't fit on the truck?
Without folding up the hitch and axle, the cutter is probably close to 12 feet from hitch to back of the wheels. Loaded sideways on the trailer, the cutter's deck will probably fit between the fenders.

Looking at the pictures on Bush Hog's website I am actually thinking that it will fit better on the truck than the trailer. The weight is not a problem - I just carried a 12' long shaft weighing 3500 lbs. This shouldn't be as long as that or as heavy. The available width is the same either way.

I see you point that it would be better to be safe than sorry. I'm considering it, especially now that the wife wants me to pick up some furniture in town. I can combine trips.

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip
OK - I got back saturday from a fairly uneventful trip. I do have a bit of a gloat though - I bought it for $800! It's a bush hog 3010 - or the older model equivelant.

Anyway, I took the trailer and loaded it up front. I unhooked the hydraulic cylinder and pulled the wheels up to get it to be less wide. I decided not to pull the tongue and just deal with it. It was too wide, but I couldn't pull pins and remove it like I thought. It would have fit on the truck bed but I picked up a new dining room set on the way home and was pretty full after that!

Now I just need new blades and hoses for the cylinder and I'm good to go!

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip #19  
Glad all went ok. Post pictures when you can. Sounds like you got a good deal at $800. Ken Sweet