10w oil

/ 10w oil #1  

Kitz

Silver Member
Tractor
IH 244
:confused2:hi everyone. i just got a 1982 ih 244 compact with 2000 hrs on k3d diesel. its dipping into the teens and my owners manual says to use 5w-20 or 5w-30 below 0 degrees. 10w oil below 32 degrees. and 30w above 32 degrees and not to substitute 10w-30 or 10w-40 i cant find 10w and id like to run syn oil. would anyone have any ideas on what i could use that would meet class cd oil and that i could use all winter season. thanks for any input.:confused:

/ 10w oil #3  
By coincidence I called Caterpillar Tractor today because my 1975 model requires 30 wt or 10 wt depending on temperature and I was no longer finding it at my regular supplier

I was told I should be using Rotella 15-40 in my mild CA climate year-round

/ 10w oil #4  
Your owners manual allows 5w30. You can get diesel rated oils in this multi-grade good for year round service. This is what is used in our VW TDIs, 2009+. I use Mobil 1 0w30 in my 4010. It has a mild diesel rating. I change it before 100 hours vs. rated for up to 200 hours by the manufacturer of the engine. TDIs go 10k miles on synthetic 5w30.

A 5w30 surpasses 10w, etc. requirements. Gives you down to 5w at startup and 30w at operating temperature.

Ralph

/ 10w oil #5  
Use Rotella is that's your wish but here is better choice IMO

hdd_qt_300pxh.jpg
Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil

/ 10w oil #6  
I second K7LN's recommendation. I use synthetic 5W-40 in EVERYTHING I own. One oil on shelf. Goes in push mower, riding mowers, pressure washer, generator, 1950 Ford 8N, wifes car, my truck, Kubota, etc. This is a mixed fleet oil for many year round all climate applications, 0F to 95F for me. Philip.

/ 10w oil
well it sounds like im going with rotella. its more accessable. well with 4 quarts 5w-40 syn would it be ok to fill the last quart with 15w-40 non syn. i used that in my mower and have a extra qt plus its twice as costy for a qt. amsoil is 10 dollars a qt here thats real costly but to each his own.

Last edited:
   / 10w oil #8  
well it sounds like im going with rotella. its more accessable. well with 4 quarts 5w-40 syn would it be ok to fill the last quart with 15w-40 non syn. i used that in my mower and have a extra qt plus its twice as costy for a qt. amsoil is 10 dollars a qt here thats real costly but to each his own.

Can you add 1 quart of 15w-40 to 4 quarts 5w-40, yes. Would I do it, no. Would it hurt anything, no. Doing this dilutes the fine properties of synthetic oil you just used. Philip.

/ 10w oil #9  
Go to your wal-mart and grab some T6 Rotella or Mobil 1 TDT both are 5w40's with great pour point specs and WILL perform fine and flow great in them cold temps and protect your engine beautifully.

/ 10w oil #10  
Just buy 2 gallons of your rotella of choice. Pour 1 qt out of the second to complete your oil change. Set the other 3 on the shelf for either your mower or adding to that oil burner car you have or like me (i use regular rotella 15-40), i leave it on the shelf and next oil change i will buy a new gallon of rotella and then use anouther qt out of the partial jug. So it will be 4 oil changes till you will need to buy a second gallon again. Like you said a single qt is almost half of what the gallon costs. If buying 2 gallons will break you or cause financial strain you might rethink the whole tractor thing.

Yea i would not mix either. It will not hurt, thats what semi-syn oil is anyway. But you spent money to get the syn, why turn it into a semi-syn oil?