Rotary Cutter 12’ batwing rotary cutter

/ 12’ batwing rotary cutter #1  

Loadstar

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 640
Today I saw a woods BW12 and it really caught my eye. I cut at our house and neighbors, but most os all my family has a lake house on 15 acres. That ground is hilly with flat pastures also. I’m spending a lot of time on the tractor with a 6’ rotary. My tractor is a Massey Ferguson 263 (53hp pto) 2 wheel drive, front has suitcase weights, rears are filled, and I have dual outputs. My big hill is pretty steep. Steep enough you better know what your doing and forget about brakes It also grows the toughest to cut. I mow about 4 times a year. Does this tractor have what it takes. It has never thought about bogging with 6’ pulling hills and weeds at canopy height.
IMG_1523.JPGIMG_0886.JPG

/ 12’ batwing rotary cutter #2  
It will be on the edge capacity wise IMHO. I pull a 10 foot Titan with 65 PTO HP and it is a perfect match. You may have to slow down in really thick brush.

/ 12’ batwing rotary cutter #3  
Re: 12 batwing rotary cutter

Just go slow.

/ 12’ batwing rotary cutter #4  
A better match.....a twin spindle 8 footer.

/ 12’ batwing rotary cutter #6  
That cutter is probably going to be too heavy for your tractor. Any idea what your tractor weighs?

/ 12’ batwing rotary cutter #7  
Not sure if my uneven terrain would be a good match is what concerns me with that.

I mow in areas that are not the best either. Former pasture land with terraced topography that requires cutting in the direction of the terraces. Just have to be aware of the property you are cutting. I was raised on this farm and I know the area really well. I found that a 10 foot cutter price wise was a better option for me than the increased capacity of a 12 or even 15 footer. I paid $3700 delivered for a new 10 footer. Just could not justify the cost of a 12 or 15 footer plus I would be taxing my tractor.

/ 12’ batwing rotary cutter #8  
Re: 12 batwing rotary cutter

That cutter is probably going to be too heavy for your tractor. Any idea what your tractor weighs?

I think that tractor weighs in at about 5200lbs. I think you may have enough weight,but barely. I think you will have a struggle on the hills.

/ 12’ batwing rotary cutter #9  
   / 12’ batwing rotary cutter #10  
I run a BW12 on my JD 4720 (56hp PTO). The tractor is ballasted so it would be similar weight as yours with ballast. Mostly use the BW12 to maintain firebreaks and field perimeters but occasionally mow CRP and pasture.

I have one area I do not mow sideways due to the slope. Mow it up and down. I have R4s and depending on the conditions I do engage the front wheel assist at times to minimize disturbing the ground.

Everybody's situation is different. The BW12 is a good fit for me and reduces my mowing time. Tractor has plenty of hp for the mower but it does grunt for a second or two until the mower is spun up. Mine is HST. I drop it in low range when mowing sloped areas but still have a good range of speeds. If it was geared I would select one to cover the worst condition and stick with it.