Backhoe 12" versus 16" Backhoe Bucket Size

/ 12" versus 16" Backhoe Bucket Size #11  
Re: 12\" versus 16\" Backhoe Bucket Size

I have both the 12" bucket and the 16" bucket. I have found that I use the 12" much more than the 16". If someone needs a wider trench than what the 12" can do it is simply done by widening the trench. I have yet to figure out how to make a trench narrower! I would vote for the 12" bucket if I were to only purchase one. I have also found it much easier to pull tree stumps also.

/ 12" versus 16" Backhoe Bucket Size #12  

I, too have a 12" bucket on my 4672 backhoe. I bought it specifically for trenching drainage lines on my property, as well as digging stumps. I recently put in about 400' of drain pipe, and one thing is certain - with my current backhoe skills, I need to do a bit of manual labor to complete the job. Cutting back roots, shoveling out clumps that fell back in, evening the bottom, or shoveling in clumps to offset a large dip in the grade. Even if my skills improve significantly, I think my rocky clay soil will always require some manual "touch-up" work to the trench. Having 25% less trench to touch up seems like quite an advantage to me. Also, most of my drainage is the french drain type, requiring me to backfill with gravel that I must buy. I figured that a 12" trench is going to cost 25% less to backfill than a 16" trench. If I ever dig a propane line, which might be in my future plans for the barn, the sand fill that code requires will make it an even more attractive proposition to have a 12" bucket.

PaulT

/ 12" versus 16" Backhoe Bucket Size #13  

Don, on trying to get a flat bottom trench. Try setting the bucket so that the teeth are straight down on trench bottom.
Then hold the boom control open (down) while dragging the dipper back towards you. This will keep the dipper from arcing up and will use the bucket teeth like a rake on the bottom of the trench. The weight of the bucket, dipper and boom should be more then enough down pressure to scrape the trench bottom flat. This works on my hoe (Bradco) and may work on yours.
On the 12" or 16" buckets. If you are just looking to move dirt a 12" will do everything a 16" will, only slower. For removing stumps a 12" is better. In my opinion, bucket size for trenching depends on a wide a trench you need. Trenching machines usually cut a 4 or 6" trench for electrical and water lines.

good luck,
keoke

/ 12" versus 16" Backhoe Bucket Size

Thanks Keoke for the flat bottom trench tip ... I'll definitely try that. At times, I think my problem is one of an inconsistent approach on the controls and maybe lapsing occasionally on linking "cause and effect". For example, on one trench segment, the result looks like I am an experienced backhoe operator, and then I move the tractor down, and the next section looks like I was asleep at the controls (or hitting the bottle). And I think that arcing action is what gets me in trouble ... to the point that I then overdig on the depth, so I can back-fill and "dress-up" the bottom of the trench (to "match" the prior good portion). But I of course come away from that activity feeling like I am doing double-duty and having to resort to more manual work, that in effect defeats some of the purpose behind using a tractor and backhoe unit to begin with. But I know ... it's probably just a matter of plenty of practice, and employing the best techniques that get the job done efficiently and at some point (hopefully), with some "elegence" thrown in.

In any case, I hope to swap-out my 16" bucket for a 12" later in the week. Thanks again everyone.

Don

/ 12" versus 16" Backhoe Bucket Size #15  
Re: 12" versus 16" Backhoe Bucket Size

I Plan on buying the Kubota bh 76 and have a choice to make between the 12" and 16". For mixed use (trenching, stumps, landscaping) would the 16" be the compromise bucket if only 1 bucket is used?

/ 12" versus 16" Backhoe Bucket Size #16  

I have both, 12" and 18". Clay empties much more easily from the 18" bucket. The 12" is unusable in many places, unless you enjoy chipping the clay out after every scoop.

I bought an aftermarket hydraulic thumb, and it can not be used with a 12" bucket -- this might be another thing to think about. The mount is wider than 12" and would scrape on the dirt with every scoop. A 16" or 18" bucket is wide enough that the trench walls clear the thumb mount.

If you are only going to trench, you don't need a thumb. If you are going to pick up a rock or two, the thumb is indispensable.

I rate thumbs this way:

none = 1
mechanical = 3 or 4
hydraulic = 10

/ 12" versus 16" Backhoe Bucket Size #17  

I have a L3400 with the BH76A Hoe and the 12" bucket. My property has an incredible amount of rocks and I have taken out more tree stumps than I care to remember. I think you are better off with the 12" as well.

/ 12" versus 16" Backhoe Bucket Size #18  

We don't sell to many 12" buckets other then for the BX. For the difference in the trenching part of four inches it is a small savings for the backfill and with clay or wet soils the lack of the problem with a sticky bucket full is a nice advantage.

/ 12" versus 16" Backhoe Bucket Size #19  

16'' is the standard width for an 8 inch block wall or foundation.
We don't sell to many 12" buckets other then for the BX. For the difference in the trenching part of four inches it is a small savings for the backfill and with clay or wet soils the lack of the problem with a sticky bucket full is a nice advantage.