12 volt waterproof connector

/ 12 volt waterproof connector #1  

Dog Gone It

Bronze Member
Tractor
L2501 (4wd)
Im thinking about buying a 12v fuel transfer pump because I dont have electricity in the building where I store fuel, and park my tractor.
So I was wanting to have some kind of accessible 12v wire (mounted?) connector, extended from the battery leads, that I can connect my transfer pump to, without raising the tractor hood. My plan was to pull my tractor into the shed, shut the engine off, connect 12v pump and then fuel. I dont think it would drain the battery too much just for fueling so thats my plan.
Anyone else try this or have any suggestions on a quality connector ?
Im not sure if they will work very good but here are a few examples that I thought might work because I can keep a cover over the connectors to keep them clean when not in use...
DuoWire Outdoor Waterproof Connector
https://www.amazon.com/Weatherproof-Accessory-Lighter-Outlet-pba/dp/B00G4RYWF2
Quality Waterproof Two 2 Pin Wire Terminal Solar Panel Connector Marine Mast 12V | eBay

/ 12 volt waterproof connector #2  
I use the same SAE 2 pin connectors I use for my battery maintainers.

Not sure what your amp draw is, just would need to make sure the connector can handle the load

/ 12 volt waterproof connector #4  
I'd use either SAE (lighter socket) or DIN (available at Deere dealers). Use a bulkhead mount socket with a lid and make a bracket for it. It's easier to deal with and more versatile than a dangling cord with a plug on the end.

/ 12 volt waterproof connector #5  
Is your battery difficult to access? If no would simple alligator clips on fuel pump leads work? That way you could run it off any battery Vs having a special connector for just one vehicle. I.e. use pickup, lawn mower ,etc. for the oops moments when you need fuel and your dedicated tractor isn't there.

/ 12 volt waterproof connector
I use the same SAE 2 pin connectors I use for my battery maintainers.

Not sure what your amp draw is, just would need to make sure the connector can handle the load
I will remember the importance of load. Thanks

I would look at these power pole connectors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirec...8466870&id=7582201391197978&widgetName=sp_atf

Use these on tractors and sprayers, they are not water proof.

Dave
I really did want waterproof or close to it but thanks just the same.

I'd use either SAE (lighter socket) or DIN (available at Deere dealers). Use a bulkhead mount socket with a lid and make a bracket for it. It's easier to deal with and more versatile than a dangling cord with a plug on the end.
Sounds like a good option. Thanks

Is your battery difficult to access? If no would simple alligator clips on fuel pump leads work? That way you could run it off any battery Vs having a special connector for just one vehicle. I.e. use pickup, lawn mower ,etc. for the oops moments when you need fuel and your dedicated tractor isn't there.
Where I park my tractor, its difficult to raise the hood and even if I could easily access it then I dont think I can fuel with the hood up but not sure. I will keep the separate battery idea in mind. Thanks.

/ 12 volt waterproof connector #7  
I use a dedicated small mower battery sitting behind my fuel tank so it stays in the shade out of the sun and have a solar charger connected to it for maintaining..

Just hook up my 12v pump when I'm ready to use so there's no accidental turning on somehow and fuel all over the place. No problems in the year it's been set up.

/ 12 volt waterproof connector #8  
The connector on the back of many vehicles that people use to connect their boat lights to their vehicle seems to be waterproof enough to work year after year ... yes, I mean the 4-pole trailer connector.

They also make that in a two-pole version

two pole connector.jpg

For what you want, this would be waterproof enough.

It just seems to me that there is no reason to reinvent the wheel when there is already a proven connector that works just fine for 12V systems.

Last edited:
   / 12 volt waterproof connector #10  
... Where I park my tractor, its difficult to raise the hood and even if I could easily access it then I don't think I can fuel with the hood up but not sure. I will keep the separate battery idea in mind. Thanks.

I too, originally, ran my fuel transfer pump from the tractor battery = direct alligator clips to the terminals and, yes, raising the bonnet to access became an embuggerance.

I thought about running an easy-access 'jack', then discounted it as it would limit me to just the one position to attach. The logical solution was to buy/em-place a dedicated 12V battery on the fuel transfer station, keeping the alligator clip hook-up for the pump. When not in use, the clips are removed from the battery. A trickle-charger keeps the battery charged if it indicates that its low.

Attachments

• IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 113