1210 hydraulic fluid has water in it...

/ 1210 hydraulic fluid has water in it... #1  

Jacey

Tractor
Ford 1210
The recommendations from Ford New Holland mechanic was I could use the old filter if i soaked it in diesel over nite before the first change. Then I could follow up with the second change with the new filter. Was wondering if anybody else had done that, or if I should just suck up the expense of a new filter that just gets tossed. Main reason is I have the old filter, want to get this first change done asap, and the filters have be special ordered, so a couple days out. That will probably be the time I could get to the second change anyway. Just want good results.

/ 1210 hydraulic fluid has water in it... #2  
If you are talking about the suction screen, fine. I'd not attempt to clean the hydrostatic charge filter if you have a hydro tractor and are referring to the spin on element.

/ 1210 hydraulic fluid has water in it...
If you are talking about the suction screen, fine. I'd not attempt to clean the hydrostatic charge filter if you have a hydro tractor and are referring to the spin on element.
Yeah, think you are right. About the suction screen, where is that located? My mechanic friend who is not local to me, so hasn't seem it, said there should be a cartidge type strainer as well on the opposite side from the hydro filter. I don't see anything like that, just a cup shaped filter maybe holding a couple ozs at most, but don't know where else it would be.

/ 1210 hydraulic fluid has water in it... #4  
How about you buy an operator's manual? Here's a tip: the front axle does not take 80w-90.

How about you buy an operator's manual? Here's a tip: the front axle does not take 80w-90.

Much discourse on that subject..manufacturer recommends ford 134D hydraulic fluid, but mechanic who is 30 year Ford New Holland veteran mechanic insists that 80-90 gear oil is superior for us in this part of the country. Lot's less wear on bearings according to him. Up north I have heard it is not recommended.

/ 1210 hydraulic fluid has water in it... #6  
NOT

Much discourse on that subject..manufacturer recommends ford 134D hydraulic fluid,

pretty simple choice-- factory recommendation for use worldwide or a local guy making assumptions. FYI there is no "yellow metal" in that front end.

All that water in the axle and transmission "might" cause bearing damage. Preventative maintenance.

/ 1210 hydraulic fluid has water in it... #7  
Please note that you don't need to fill the reservoir completely full to flush out the water contaminated reservoir. About half the required oil is plenty AND you don't need to run it that long to do the job.
Since you are just wanting to get the water back in suspension, run it till the oil gets up to temperature with some pretty good sloshing action from operation and then quickly drain the oil. I wouldn't even mess with the screw on filter till after I flushed it.

Regarding location of screen: Your NH dealer should have a schematic of the hydraulic system that you can look at to find the screen location. Many of these are also online if you search for them.

NOT

FYI there is no "yellow metal" in that front end.

So, since the GL 5 only drawback is harm to yellow metal, no harm no foul.

Sorry, going with my mechanic this time. He has looked at alot of tractors over a 30 year timespan. Is a certified Ford New Holland mechanic for that long. Has nothing to gain by steering me in the wrong direction.

Bet you hated McGiver...but thanx for your input!

Please note that you don't need to fill the reservoir completely full to flush out the water contaminated reservoir. About half the required oil is plenty AND you don't need to run it that long to do the job.
Since you are just wanting to get the water back in suspension, run it till the oil gets up to temperature with some pretty good sloshing action from operation and then quickly drain the oil. I wouldn't even mess with the screw on filter till after I flushed it.

Had to take the screw on filter off to ID it for replacements..so that's all I did. I haven't dumped the old hydro fluid yet. Are you saying I can't just drain it..I imagine the water will come out first...followed by the remnant oil. I am planning on dumping the first change, which I was told to run at least an hour, dump...and replace..using a new filter with each change after all.

/ 1210 hydraulic fluid has water in it... #10  
If you had non-detergent fluid you could just open the drain and let the water out.

Unfortunately, most fluid is detergent and once the fluid is emulsified, which means blended/combined, you have to drain every bit and flush several times.