12v wire splice

/ 12v wire splice #21  
The electric liquid tape works great for protecting the wire from moisture. When I lived on the coast, I used that stuff to cover wire splices on my sailboat. I never had any problems and that was a saltwater environment.

Sure you can solder your connection; it won't hurt anything. However, I think that might be overkill. Look under the hood of your car and look at the wiring done there. I'll bet you that GM didn't solder all the connections. Unless your wire is under stress, splicing the three wires together with the wire connectors that look like a cone should work fine without solder. If the splice comes undone, you can always solder it later.

Cover the wire connector with electric liquid tape and I'll bet you'll never have a problem. If you took your UTV to the shop and had them install the switch, I'd guess that they wouldn't solder the connection. We're talking 30 seconds of work versus 5 minutes if you solder it.

Obed

/ 12v wire splice #22  
Sure you can solder your connection; it won't hurt anything. However, I think that might be overkill. Look under the hood of your car and look at the wiring done there. I'll bet you that GM didn't solder all the connections.

Obed

I don't know where to start.

You mean the GM who has had so many quality issues they are nearly bankrupt. :eek:

Yes, manufacturers rarely use solder to connect wires. The do use crimped connectors with plugs for the sake of speedy assembly. These connectors generally work well enough to last the life of the vehicle.

Anyone who repairs cars for a living can attest to the fact that there are failures. These failures often leave people stranded, are often hard to diagnose. And often result in costly repairs for the unfortunate vehicle owner.

So, yes you can generally be successful using crimped butt connectors. But, if you want a connection that will never fail, you take one minute more and solder it.

/ 12v wire splice #23  
On thing if you use the mastic type. Wrap a few wraps of 3m in reverse with the sticky side up. Then to your outside covering. This makes removing it a lot easier and cleaner.

There are also problems with cold solder joints, etc. Solder is less likely to fail, but crimp type works well also for a quick easy fix.

If you want it to work, use the crimp type, if you want it to last, use the solder. Those blue wrap arounds they send with trailer lights I have yet to be successful with them. I'd prefer cutting the wires and using wire nuts before using the wrap arounds.

/ 12v wire splice #24  
I was at Lowes today and saw the self vulcanizing tape. It is Scotch 2228 moisture sealing tape. If you use it, be sure to then cover it with electrical tape (use good stuff).

I like to solder, but I'm playing to a strength I have both in equipment and experience. I think many connections can be crimped and that can be cheaper than getting set up to solder. In either case, I feel very strongly about sealing it agains moisture just like the original insulation on the wire did. The liquid electrical tape (also at box stores) and/or moisture sealing tape are great for this.

It may well be that _what_ you do is less important than _how_ you do it.

The skill and care to do it right, the knowledge about the nature of the circuit you are working on (high current, in high vibration area, etc), and mechanically protecting and securing the wires are key factors in how you approach the problem.

Pete

/ 12v wire splice
Thanks for all of your opinions. I will go with solder on the two winch electrical connections which are by the way on both of the cable IN/OUT dash and hand held remote switches-crucial in a real time of need.