135 massey ferguson hydraulic filter

/ 135 massey ferguson hydraulic filter #11  
I guess the point I'm making is that if the filter is full of sludge it may be from the excess grease and not just contaminated oil. If that is the case draining the oil a couple of times won't fix the problem, removal of the top for a thorough cleaning will be required. Oil isn't cheap.

/ 135 massey ferguson hydraulic filter #12  
I guess the point I'm making is that if the filter is full of sludge it may be from the excess grease and not just contaminated oil. If that is the case draining the oil a couple of times won't fix the problem, removal of the top for a thorough cleaning will be required. Oil isn't cheap.
Cleaning or replacing the filter would be heck of a lot easier for a novice than tearing into the tractor as some here have and created problems.
Your explanation warned of contamination when lifting the cover off. If he's not doing that.. At least I didn't suggest it. In fact I advised against it. But it is the OP's option if he so chooses to. He may very well know how to. He didn't say. Since he was asking. He did state his lift worked but shuttered while lifting. So does that mean his filter is TOTALLY clogged? I was giving advise based on this explanation and symtoms.
I remember not too long ago Hutch aka shona13 blasted a MF postee for needing help after he snatched the cover off his tractor without knowledge of the problems he created by not doing it correctly. Then comming online pleading for help. My advise was to keep this OP from creating more problems.
Your milage may vary. and I'm done... -kid

/ 135 massey ferguson hydraulic filter #13  
Wow, not sure where that came from Kid, not interested in a rivalry.

If Hutch blasted someone I'm sure it was in jest. That's what these forums are for, to learn. My post was simply to advise the OP that if he finds a thick sludge on his filter, as I did mine, then he might have a similar issue to mine.

Anyway, to the OP, unfortunately the grease collects high in the case just below the lift arms so you can't really access it to clean it any other way. Not everyone who has removed the cover has found excess grease, I wish I had taken a picture of mine. MasseyWV had found the same on his 135 during his rebuild but I see most of the pics are gone from his thread.

Kid is certainly right, removing the case takes some preparation. I see you are an equipment operator and enjoy working on outboard motors so you aren't completely without experience. If you need any help ask.

Regards

/ 135 massey ferguson hydraulic filter #14  
I did see pictures in one thread awhile back. I seem to recall it was called something on the lines of "totally unbelievable". At any rate I wanted to have the parts on hand before I tore into it. I plan to use Clint Eastwood's line-- A man's gotta know his limitations. I'll start out by draining the oil, checking the sludge from the drain plug holes, buying the filter and oil, and then changing it out. I'm terribly slow but still want to use the tractor for finish mowing. Don't suppose I can see what type of filter I'll need by removing the side cover, giving it a look/feel, then put it back without having to drain the oil, can I?

Say Mike146, how did I manage to give you the impression (incorrectly) that I work on outboard motors? And equipment operator is more than a bit of a stretch too. I must have clicked on several wrong boxes filling out my profile, sorry.

Thanks for the help!

/ 135 massey ferguson hydraulic filter #15  
I did see pictures in one thread awhile back. I seem to recall it was called something on the lines of "totally unbelievable". At any rate I wanted to have the parts on hand before I tore into it. I plan to use Clint Eastwood's line-- A man's gotta know his limitations. I'll start out by draining the oil, checking the sludge from the drain plug holes, buying the filter and oil, and then changing it out. I'm terribly slow but still want to use the tractor for finish mowing. Don't suppose I can see what type of filter I'll need by removing the side cover, giving it a look/feel, then put it back without having to drain the oil, can I?

Say Mike146, how did I manage to give you the impression (incorrectly) that I work on outboard motors? And equipment operator is more than a bit of a stretch too. I must have clicked on several wrong boxes filling out my profile, sorry.

Thanks for the help!

I believe Mike476 was refering to Megana the op as a heavy equipment operator and works on outboards and not you

/ 135 massey ferguson hydraulic filter #16  
I believe Mike476 was refering to Megana the op as a heavy equipment operator and works on outboards and not you

Ok, my bad and apologies.

So, can anyone tell me if a universal hydraulic fluid like TSC's "Renew" is anything I'd want to put in the 135. And if I take the PTO side plate off to check on filter style will fluid come out. I would like to have the o-ring and filter handy in case it requires replacing when I change the fluid, but there's no parts store close by.

/ 135 massey ferguson hydraulic filter #17  
Ok, my bad and apologies.

So, can anyone tell me if a universal hydraulic fluid like TSC's "Renew" is anything I'd want to put in the 135. And if I take the PTO side plate off to check on filter style will fluid come out. I would like to have the o-ring and filter handy in case it requires replacing when I change the fluid, but there's no parts store close by.

Any oil as long as it meets MF1129 or MF1129A specifications will work. You need to drain, I would estimate, half (4 gallons) to remove the PTO cover. The lowest bolt hole in the differential housing holding the pto cover is through and will leak oil if the level is not low enough. I found that out myself. I currently have my 135 drained and found that the filter screen was deteriorated and was allowing unfiltered oil to the pump. I've never read here that anyone else experienced this much deterioration only that they were able to clean it in solvent and reinstall it. I have a dealer ordering a new filter for me but haven't got the price yet. Its pay the price or do without.

/ 135 massey ferguson hydraulic filter #18  
Hello All,

I just finished a fluid and filter change on my Massey 35. Just purchased it a couple days ago and got it pretty cheap because the PTO lever was stuck. I was going to try to save some money and just drain enough to see what the problem was. I'm sure glad I took the advice given by namyessam and drained it all. Man, I couldn't believe the water that had accumulated in the bottom. As mentioned, just checking the dipstick is very deceptive. I discovered that the filter had came loose and was laying in the bottom of the pan and had the PTO lever jammed. $250 later, I now have a working PTO, along with fresh engine oil, oil filter, and fuel filters. Only problem now is that the lift doesn't want to lower once raised. If I leave it down when I first crank the tractor, it will stay down, but if I ever raise it, it will not lower unless I depress the clutch or turn off the engine and let it slowly leak down.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but do you guys have any ideas? Check out the smashed filter cup

smashed_filter_cup.jpg

/ 135 massey ferguson hydraulic filter #19  
Hello All,

I just finished a fluid and filter change on my Massey 35. Just purchased it a couple days ago and got it pretty cheap because the PTO lever was stuck. I was going to try to save some money and just drain enough to see what the problem was. I'm sure glad I took the advice given by namyessam and drained it all. Man, I couldn't believe the water that had accumulated in the bottom. As mentioned, just checking the dipstick is very deceptive. I discovered that the filter had came loose and was laying in the bottom of the pan and had the PTO lever jammed. $250 later, I now have a working PTO, along with fresh engine oil, oil filter, and fuel filters. Only problem now is that the lift doesn't want to lower once raised. If I leave it down when I first crank the tractor, it will stay down, but if I ever raise it, it will not lower unless I depress the clutch or turn off the engine and let it slowly leak down.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but do you guys have any ideas? Check out the smashed filter cup

View attachment 322697

Go ahead and start a new thread to address the three point. Do you have an auxiliary valve on top of the transmission case in front of the seat or any other hydraulic accessory? include pictures if possible. Pictures worth a thousand words.

namyessam

/ 135 massey ferguson hydraulic filter #20  
New to this forum and I was wondering if the 165 massey is set up the same as the 135 for doing oil/filter change.
My lift is slow and jittery when lifting. Any help is greatly appreciated.