$136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES???

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #11  
The medical profession, any venue, is a tough degree to obtain, and also very expensive. Veterinarians graduating today will come out of school over $100,000 in debt, from student loans, and that is just for the veterinary schooling, not the undergrad stuff. If salaries are not high, no one will want to invest the time, effort and money to get the skills and knowledge. And, if I need a doctor or nurse, I want a good one, not someone who can't survive the hard work and examinations the schooling demands.

I have a friend that works for one of those credit counceling services, and she says it always stuns her to see the kinds of debt the medical professionals come out of school with, and still have, even a few years post graduation.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #12  
"And, if I need a doctor or nurse, I want a good one, not someone who can't survive the hard work and examinations the schooling demands."

Reminds me of this: "You know what they call the guy who graduated at the top of class from medical school? Doctor."

"You know what they call the guy who finished at the bottom? They call him Doctor, too."

All kidding aside, anybody who complains about however much or however little someone else is making should feel free to do something about it. I work for a large corporation that has multiple vice-presidents that make millions each year. Of course, I wish I was pulling in that kind of dough, but I'm just a peon. However, I truly believe that if I were to be motivated enough and make the same educational choices, career moves and sacrifices that those folks made, then in similar time, I could be in the same boat. I'm just not motivated that much.

I've also always heard that their a two ways to become richer: Make more money or desire less stuff. I've discovered for me, it's easier to desire less stuff!

Good luck and take care.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #13  
I turned into the make more money person, two years ago. I figured a five year plan would take ten years off my life and shorten my retirement age accordingly.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #14  
Like someone mentioned, it's not easy to get through all the required training to get a nurses degree, at least an RN, from my experience. My wife's class started out with 38 students, but only 17 walked across the stage at the pinning ceremony.
She worked and studied hard to get to that point and we as a family had to make a lot of adjustments to accommodate. No vacations, trimming the budget to pay tuition and books, study materials, extra money for all the expenses involved for the long drive to school etc. At least we didn't have to take out any student loans.
She does make pretty good money, or at least pretty good money for this rural economy, but the biggest chunk of that income is from overtime and ambulance runs when the local EMS is understaffed. Until she made it up to being a supervisor, she was required to work every other weekend and on call on certain days when she was off.
Last week, she worked 6 nightshifts, 12 hours per. Her average week is hardly ever less than 48 hours per week and is probably closer to 60 hours.
So she does make a pretty good annual salary, but on the other hand, she puts in a lot more than the 40 hour a week factory worker during the course of that year and just by being a nurse, she's taking on a pretty hefty liability potential the average worker never has to face.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #15  
My first wife was a nurse and I can tell you that the job sucks the life out of you. Try working with cancer patients all day every day and see if it doesn't get to you, especially when you are perpetually short staffed and can't provide all the care you know needs to be done. She never made over $80K, even working in a second tier management position, but I don't resent good wages for anyone in such a demanding job.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #16  
I work in a hospital in Physical Therapy. It is not uncommon for the CNA's to make 20 to 25$$ an hour. Especially counting in shift differential and overtime. At $35 and hour 40 hour work week and another 20 hours at 1.5 time. It's not hard to make good money, but the job is exhausting , emotionally draining. I would not do it in a heartbeat.

As far as the GPS our hospital has them too. They are part of a communication system that keeps everyone in touch. Had a time when the boss would show up when you were walking out of the jon or maybe in a part of the hospital you normally were not in. Pulled some strings and got a friend in IMT to pull up her records of checking the locator function. 30 times a day easily. Took the list to the union and said she was in fringing on our privacy. Administration turned off access to that function for her or so they say, but no more waiting boss coming out of the jon though. We know jut take the battery out of the thing at lunch (big brother could be listening) and leave it at the desk when we go on break.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #17  
Reminds me of this: "You know what they call the guy who graduated at the top of class from medical school? Doctor."

"You know what they call the guy who finished at the bottom? They call him Doctor, too."

Good luck and take care.

Yep, but the doctor still managed to know enough to get through it, then go into an internship, etc. There are those that can't get through it. The fact some applied themselves more, and learned enough to get their credentials, makes me appreciate them.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #18  
And as I write this I'm watching the end of a "Deadliest catch" opilio season (about 40 days) where the crew members on one boat got $151,000 for their season for catching crab. That's almost $4,000 PER DAY LEGALLY.

That's No education required. Chance of death.

Some jobs pay better than others.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #19  
And as I write this I'm watching the end of a "Deadliest catch" opilio season (about 40 days) where the crew members on one boat got $151,000 for their season for catching crab. That's almost $4,000 PER DAY LEGALLY.

That's No education required. Chance of death.

Some jobs pay better than others.

Yeah! BUT, try getting a good t-bone on that boat. :)

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #20  
Coast Guard is always at the ready. And we pay for the rescue! Crab shouldn't cost so dang much, I can't afford it!