14.9-24 vs 17.5-24 tires

/ 14.9-24 vs 17.5-24 tires #1  

4tillingdirt

Silver Member
Tractor
N/A
Given a choice on the same size tractor, which size would you choose?

/ 14.9-24 vs 17.5-24 tires #2  
My choice of tire would probably depend on my intended use of the tire and the load capacity of that tire. You're not giving much info.

/ 14.9-24 vs 17.5-24 tires #3  
The 17.5L are a tad shorter and wider. May offer more floatation in certain conditions. May technically produce more "torque" to the ground (by a very small margin) because of higher tire rotation speed in gear (likely so negligible that it won't be noticed) Will offer slightly slower travel speeds.

The 14.9 are a tad taller and narrower. May offer better traction by "digging in" due to too the narrower tread. Will offer slightly faster travel speeds.

/ 14.9-24 vs 17.5-24 tires
My choice of tire would probably depend on my intended use of the tire and the load capacity of that tire. You're not giving much info.

Just using it around the house - plugging yard, sowing grass, mulching trees, scraping driveways

/ 14.9-24 vs 17.5-24 tires #5  
Personally, I've never saw a tractor tire too wide.

Improves ride quality, adds stability. Go wide.

/ 14.9-24 vs 17.5-24 tires #7  
I want to get wider tires for my LS tractor because it seems like in the mud and when the ground is really wet my current tires just act a rototillars instead of tires. I am not sure where a good place is to find these or rims if I need to get wider rims. Anyone have any suggestions?

/ 14.9-24 vs 17.5-24 tires #8  
If the tractor is 4WD,, the tire height must be correct,,

or else,, there will be more posts on why you can not get the tractor out of 4WD,,, :eek:

/ 14.9-24 vs 17.5-24 tires #9  
I want to get wider tires for my LS tractor because it seems like in the mud and when the ground is really wet my current tires just act a rototillars instead of tires. I am not sure where a good place is to find these or rims if I need to get wider rims. Anyone have any suggestions?

What size tires are on it? What bolt pattern?
David from jax

/ 14.9-24 vs 17.5-24 tires #10  
Given a choice on the same size tractor, which size would you choose?

For my Allis Chalmers D-12, it already has the oversize tire option of 14.9-24. My John Deere 2555 has 14.9-24 on it, and i would go to the wider tire for it. However, i have a bunch of spare rims and tires, so buying rear tires probably isn't likely to happen.
David from jax