140 redo

/ 140 redo #1  

LRTX1

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall 140's
Just figured I would post a few pictures of a 140 that we (my father and I) have been working on. We bought this one, 1979 model, about 4 years ago. It came from an old man that had an acre or 2 garden. Pulled up with a 16ft utility trailer planning on pulling it home. He didn't say how much stuff came with it. Long story short, we filled the trailer with a mower, disc, plows, cultivators, planter, fert distributor and just about anything else you could ask for. I ended up driving the tractor home the 18 miles.

Since we already had two 140's, one just restored, and a ton of equipment there was not an immediate hurry to put this one to work. So it sat for the next year or so. Then we began the disasemble. No pictures of that sorry.

Well, the cardiac kid, my father, decided he wanted to start having annual heart attacks, so the project slowed way down. After 3 years and a couple heart stints we started the cleaning and painting. This is where we stand, chasis painted, tin and add-ons prepped. Started the assembly of fenders etc.

Anyways I will do my best to update if there is any interest in our project.

BTW: Dads OK. He's a tough old bird.

Attachments

• after paint (2).jpg
    after paint (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 312
  • after paint (3).jpg
    after paint (3).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 280
  • after paint (4).jpg
    after paint (4).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 262
  • after paint (5).jpg
    after paint (5).jpg
    756.4 KB · Views: 434
   / 140 redo #2  
First, let me say.., glad that your Dad is doing OK...

Second..., Man..!! Would I love to have one of those 140's with FH plow, for local plowing days..!! I have a 240 with a set of FH plows, but with small plots and numerous tractors ya' don't want to get done too soon..., LOL..

I literally grew up on an A. I have two of them. One is a project down the road for plowing days..., but with manual lift... ( UGH..) Just too many irons in the fire at the moment..

Keep posting on the progress..!! We love pictures..!!

/ 140 redo #3  
I've had a '74 140 for a few years now...I have the FH, with the FH plow, cultivators and something that I've only seen when I got this one...a 2 row FH corn planter...I'll try to put a few pics...the one with the cultivators is when I bought it...BobG in VA

/ 140 redo #4  
I've had a '74 140 for a few years now...I have the FH, with the FH plow, cultivators and something that I've only seen when I got this one...a 2 row FH corn planter...I'll try to put a few pics...the one with the cultivators is when I bought it...BobG in VA

Oops...let me try again...

Attachments

• 140_Today.JPG
    140_Today.JPG
    469.9 KB · Views: 225
  • 140_R1.JPG
    140_R1.JPG
    485.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 140-During.JPG
    140-During.JPG
    488.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 140_Before.JPG
    140_Before.JPG
    495.1 KB · Views: 581
   / 140 redo
DJ54,

The 140's sure are fun to plow with. Thanks for your comments.

Bob,

I've never seen a 2 row corn planter for a 140. Is it meant for it? I have offset a cole planter and planted back and forth on the same row, if that makes sense. Nice pictures, did you ever get the rear wheel weights back on after painting the wheels? They can be a bear somedays.

/ 140 redo #6  
DJ54,

The 140's sure are fun to plow with. Thanks for your comments.

Bob,

I've never seen a 2 row corn planter for a 140. Is it meant for it? I have offset a cole planter and planted back and forth on the same row, if that makes sense. Nice pictures, did you ever get the rear wheel weights back on after painting the wheels? They can be a bear somedays.

Yeah, the planter is for the 140...Its a Model 251....I'll thro in a pic of it when I first saw it before I bought the tractor...and No, I never put the weights back on as the rears are loaded. I've done some plowing with the 140 without the weights and it doesn't slip for lack of rear end weight.

Attachments

• 140_3.JPG
    140_3.JPG
    469.2 KB · Views: 257
   / 140 redo
Been almost finished for a little while. Need to get around to replacing the hood with a different one, this one is just too beat up, it all showed through the paint. No sense in decaling it up till I get another hood painted for it. Anyways here it is at work trimming a few limbs.

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    993.7 KB · Views: 260
   / 140 redo #9  
She's looking good! Nice job on cleaning er' up. :thumbsup: