1401D wont start

/ 1401D wont start #1  

skipdow

Tractor
Yanmar 1401D JD400 Fordson Dexta
My trouble free yanmar is now causing me trouble.
The wife was cleaning out the chicken coop and shoveling into the front bucket.(it was her idea)
We left the tractor idling for the first bucket to let it warm up.(frosty morning) It had driven from the tractor barn to the coop fine but after idling about 2-3 min the revs slowly dropped and then it stalled.
I tried to restart it . It cranked over fine but only a few light puffs out of the exhaust.(felt queezy in my stomach) not good, I am assuming its a fuel issue. Fuel tank is 1/4 full. Fuel filter has 15 hrs on it.
Is there something I should check before ordering a new injector pump ?(hopefully?)
maybe a magic reset your fuel system button I can't see? :thumbsup:
I can hope can't I?

/ 1401D wont start #2  
My first thought would be bad fuel. I would examine that possibility real good. Look in the tank with a flashlight. Once you are completely satisfied your fuel is good then start the bleeding routine. Yanmar Tractor Fuel Bleeding Procedure

Inspect your fuel hose all the way to the injector pump making sure it has no cracks or loose fittings.

/ 1401D wont start #3  
I agree with winston - start with basics first. Check air filter too for possible clogging. Check the fuel filter even though its new...could be clogged or there was water in there and it froze/gelled - how cold was it when this happened. With only a 1/4 tank you shoud be able to see into the tank with a flashlight - is there something blocking the fule line? If the tractor sits a while and then starts that would be an indicator that its clogged but some fule is getting to the filter/pump. Any cracks in the fule lines letting air in?

/ 1401D wont start
It was'nt THAT cold , probably 3 celcius( 36 f ??)
I was going to bleed the system as a way to see if there was ANY fuel being pumped tho I never thought of bad fuel.
I have been pretty lucky for good fuel in the past but of course all luck runs out....
thanks I will do that and let you know what I find

/ 1401D wont start #5  
I agree with the previous replies. After you inspect for contamination, I would suggest filling the tank up, and then doing a proper bleed of the fuel system. It should be operable soon. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

/ 1401D wont start
Well, after the rest of life getting in the way of me fixing my tractor I finally devoted some time to it this weekend. I took a closer look at the tank and discovered my tank was not empty (technically) but since the fuel line connected to the side of the tank and not the bottom it was likely sucking air slightly. I added what diesel I had, which brought it to almost half full and tried to bleed the injectors.... no fuel. I loosened the lines as they cam out of the pump... nothing. I thought maybe the tank was plugged and popped the hose off the tank... lots of fuel. I thought maybe the hose from the tank to the pump may be plugged and disconnected at the pump..... nothing. I thought AHA!! and let go of the hose and it dropped down BUT started to then pour fuel??? And then I realized my mistake.
I HAD run out of fuel but only filling the tank part way had not raised the fuel height up to the height of my pump and the pump was NOT sucking the fuel to it. I FILLED the tank to the top and then the pump primed great and she fired up and ran great:cool2: YAAAAA my tractors not broken!!! I'm just stupid and ran it empty!!! I am sure Hoye would have been glad to sell me a pump but I am much happier that I didn't need to buy one.
So thats a lesson to me and others... look for the easy solution before assuming its complicated:thumbsup:

Thanks for the help and suggestions

Corey