Mowing 1428v & a 5' or 6' finish mower?

/ 1428v & a 5' or 6' finish mower? #1  

WH401

Platinum Member
Currently I cut 7 acres of grass every two weeks with a 1972 International Cub w/ a 5' Woods belly mower. It's time is up and I may be getting a 2004 1428v gear drive to cut grass with. Question is, I need a finish mower to go behind it, but which one? I'm trying to stick with Woods as I have had great success with there products and don't know many that haven't(not that the others are bad in any way).

Anyways, the Cub is 11 hp and with as worn as it is, its probably down to about 6 - 8 hp. When it runs right, it will cut the grass with the 5 footer with no problem as long as its clear underneath and the blades are kept sharp. Now the 1428v is a 28 hp, 24.5 hp to the ground tractor. I would like to be able to use a 6' finish mower behind it. I have been looking at the PRD 6000 (5') & the 7200 (6'), both rear discharge units. The 6000 weighs 653 lbs and the 7200 weighs 719 lbs. Both of those are a heafty sum but I think the tractor would handle them alright, it has a FEL on it and filled tires also. Though, with both the 6000 & 7200, Wood's recommends 20 - 40 hp. I don't know if that's cutting it too close with this tractor or not, but as I said, the Cub still is able to turn the 5 foot belly mower when it runs right, so it shouldn't be a problem, right?

The other option is to look at the Wood's RM550 (5') & RM660(6'), both side discharge units and basically the same construction as the PRD 6000 & 7000. The 550 weighs 500 lbs & the 660 weighs 550 lbs. On both Wood's recommend's 16 - 35 hp to run them.

I think the RM's would be the better choice but the tractor should be able to handle either of the 4 mower's I think. Only thing that bothers me about the RM's is I think I would end up with more scalping due to the way the wheels are situated and the fact that I don't think you can get a center, front roller. About 70% of the grass I cut it just flat, but there are slight ruts from farm and I do have 1 large hill that gets mowed.

What do you all think I should go with? I have options here as to whether I get the 1428 or not, but I have been without a bucket tractor for the last 3 years on 11 acres and there are things I could use one for. For the past 3 years though I have gotten by without a bucket tractor and only the Cub which just cuts grass. I could just replace the Cub with a ZTR or a Kubuta F series front mower, but I do like this tractor as I have already used it once. Opinion's please gentlemen, and ladies if there are any. Thanks

/ 1428v & a 5' or 6' finish mower? #2  
That 1428v will handle any of those mowers without a problem. I personally like the rear discharge. I also am not good on mowing all the time so I like the fact it doesn't "windrow". If you can use the tractor anyway, I think you already answered you're own question. A zero turn would cut your mow time but how much else could you use it? Of course you could buy both!

/ 1428v & a 5' or 6' finish mower? #3  
I am not really familiar with the Woods mowers. I use a 5' Rhino finish mower with a 1433v. I really would prefer to have a 6' mower and it would handle it with ease. I really prefer the rear discharge on a finish mower. It doesn't leave the rows. I went "natural" with most of my yard mowing this year though so I have not been using the tractor much. I just let the wife's mules eat it.:D Now if I could just teach them to clip it evenly it would be great.;)

/ 1428v & a 5' or 6' finish mower?
Sounds good guys. I think I will probably go with the rear discharge myself, I don't mind the rows but I figure the rear discharge will get the grass out of the mower faster. I want to still have a nice cut, but I think alot of the time when I see a lawn not cut nice by a finish mower, it's because some people think more of them as a bush hog than a mower so they don't keep the blades sharp. My feelings exactly on a zero turn, it would sure cut time off which would be nice, but what else can I do with it.

/ 1428v & a 5' or 6' finish mower? #5  
I have a RM550 (60" woods side discharge) and the tractor MORE than handles the mower. The only thing that would make me hesitant to upgrade to a 72" mower is the way the mower drives the tractor on steep banks. When I mow the front ditches I find myself counter steering because the mower is pulling the tractor sideways. The ditch is VERY steep though and if damp at all I have to use 4wd ( top wheel spins ), so this is not normal mowing. The 72" mower has double bevel belts which should help alot in heavy grass. On my 60" I have to be carefull not to burn up the belt if in heavy grass, the belt wants to slip (wet) or chatter (Dry). I don't think I would have this problem with the 72" woods mower. If I was buying new, still not sure if it would be 60" or 72" IF I could get a 60" with the double bevel belts, but it would be a mower with the double bevel belt. I would also want the rear discharge.

good luck and you will like the 1428v, its a nice handy tractor.

DuaneW.

/ 1428v & a 5' or 6' finish mower?
Duane, I agree with you about the weight of the mower possibly being a little more for the 1428 on hills than a 5', but like you say, it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I do have one large hill that gets mowed but I think I will still be able to mow it up & down and not across. 4wd should come in handy for that and keep the tires from tearing it up so bad.

/ 1428v & a 5' or 6' finish mower? #7  
I use a 7ft Farm king mower on my Agco St30x basically a 1428v. i have included a picture of the tractor and mower. I have no problem running the 7ft i basically run at PTO speed and a ground speed of about in the middle of mid range.

i do it every single weekend on about 7 acres

Attachments

• DSCF9749.JPG
    DSCF9749.JPG
    888.4 KB · Views: 904
  • DSCF5277.JPG
    DSCF5277.JPG
    899.1 KB · Views: 633