15 acres, which tractor?

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #31  
I have noticed that hydraulic pump flow rate is not discussed here as much as HP. To me pump capacity is very important with an FEL. bcs

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #32  
Dan,

Welcome to TBN.

As the others have mentioned 25hp is a good bottom end number. We bought used, but got a great deal on a 34 (pto) hp 2wd w/ a FEL and brush hog. I can testify of the previous statements that you never want to go smaller.

Just as important as HP ratings is the dealer. IMHO, the color of your tractor is less important than the service that the dealer will give you. Other TBN'ers will attest to the good and bad experiences w/ their dealers. I would suggest finding people who have purchased tractors from each of the available dealers and ask them how the service has been.

Clint

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #33  
I will be the outlaw here /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have 40 acres with a similar mix to your 15, and I wouldn't recommend approaching your problem the way you are. First, throw out any thoughts of the BX. An overpriced toy for your property. You have two distinct needs, and like most things in life, the BX does both with weak results. With a portion of your $15k (and dont get talked into spending more) you should buy a decent quality lawn tractor. I would recommend used, but it doesnt need to be if you arent handy. This machine will excel at mowing around the house, compact enough to get close and light enough to mow on soft ground without compaction. Plus your wife will be more apt to jump on an tool around on an LT. Let's assume you spend $2 grand on this, take the remaining $13 and look for a lightly used L series or other brand similar with 25-30 hp and a loader. With a little shopping (which is fun /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) this is not too hard to find.

By doing this you will be much better prepared for future uses (backhoe, small haying equipment, moving bales around with FEL, etc) You will also avoid a hit in depreciation when and if you sell, since you bought used in the first place.

I think the BX is great for someone with 5 acres and a lot of open mowing. It is a handy little rig. But with real property and the possibilities of lots of projects down the road, dont spend $15k on something relegated to the lawn!

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #34  
Dano33,

Welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My two cents is to forget about how much money you have
or don't have to spend. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Forget about the BX2200
or any other tractor you might have thought about. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Figure out what has to be done on the property. Or what
might have to be done. Go read the Proejcts and Attachment
discussion areas to see what people are doing with their
eqiupment. Right now you might think you can only do A, B,
and C with your tractor but if you start reading you will hear
about tractors doing work you never would have thought
possible.

In 1999/2000 I was in your shoes thinking about spending the
same amount of money. I ended up spending MUCH more than
my budget! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But its been worth every cent.

The one thing to keep in mind as you work your way through
this quadry is that time is money and money is time. There
is always a bigger tractor or attachment out there that will
do the job quicker and better than what you have or want.
So the question becomes is it worth the extra dollars? Is it
worth X thousands of dollars to save you Y amount of time?

You need to mow. But what kinda of mowing? Rotary cutting
for the 10 acres and the road right of way? Or can you just
use the mid mount mower? My neighbor has a BX2200. He
tried to help me out by mowing my right of way. I asked him
NOT to since I did not think his equipment could handle the
rocks, wood, and stumps. He mowed a few hundred feet and
was hearing to many things bouncing around under his tractor
so he figured I was right and stopped! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

But if your right of way is in better shape than mine the
BX2200 can work just fine.

Are you going to have to put in posts for fences? Will it be
cheaper for you to do the job or pay someone?

Would you want to use the tractor to generate power during
power outages? Will the tractor provide the power you need?

Do you need a wood chipper?

Do you want to till or plow a garden? How large?

Do you have to do landscapping around the house?

If you get a tractor you need an FEL as far as I'm concerned.
So just go ahead and get past that decision. But do you need
to GRAB things with the FEL?

You have a long road to maintain. So you need a box blade
or a blade. I prefer a box blade.

This is just to start. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Dan McCarty

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #35  
Congrats on the farm.

I did something similar. I moved from a little 1/4 acre lot in a neighborhood to agricultural land. In a rush, I bought a tractor that was a tad bit too small foo all I needed it to do. But I must say.. any tractor is better than no tractor at all.

Since then I've found one that is more fitted to my needs. In my opinion, buy the biggest you can affored, with the future in mind.

Perhaps you may sacrifica a few bells and whistles for size and brawn.. ( unless you want it for the bells and whistles! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Good luck either way.

Soundguy

/ 15 acres, which tractor?
SteveM
You got my vote! My thoughts exactly. I have twelve acres and after much thought did what you suggested. Some times you need two pieces of equipment to do it right.

/ 15 acres, which tractor?
Based off of your responses, it looks like I have some shopping to do. I am hoping to get out to my local John Deere and Kubota dealer this weekend. Both dealers have been great to talk to and have know my property. Both of them have recommended a 25+ hp tractor as a minimum. They have been very informative and have encouraged me to get out to their dealerships and test drive a few. If the weather holds out, I will try to get this done on Sat. I have also gotten some good info regarding used trators for sale, so that may be an option as well. I also got contacted by a Kioti dealer who was very pleasent to talk to. This dealer is located much further away, but I don't think it would hurt to go see what he has to offer. With the information I am picking up on this board combined with your real world feedback, I feel much better about knowing what I am getting into. Thanks for the replies and please keep sending your suggestions.

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #38  
Danno,

I have two acres. I purchased a TC21D with a FEL and a 60" MMM. Now most would people tell me that is plenty. My dealer told me it wasn't but I didn't listen to him. I had two reasons for being dissapointed. 1, was the hills on my property, it was way to dangerous as far as tipping over. 2, The FEL did not allow to pick up much stuff without fear of tractor tipping over, even on flat land. I could have the bucket two feet off the ground and if I turned the steering wheel fairly sharpe the tractor would start to tip over. So if your going to be working with manure which is heavier than dirt you would have the same trouble with a smaller tractor.

So I bit the bullet and took the tractor back, my dealer charged me a small amount for the upgrade and gave me the original price that he quoted my on the TC29D that I ended up with. This has made a big difference but still wished I went to the TC33D. I got a FEL and a 72" MMM on my 29 and I can mow around the yard just fine. I make one pass with the push mower around the yard, 5 minutes and then finish with my 72" MMM. And in my case I keep the wife off of the tractor, seat time is precious to me. I unwind when I am on the seat. But as everybody has said, make sure its big enough even if buying a lawn tractor right now to get bigger it is a good idea. I am not selling Blue, there is really good machines out there but none is no good without support. Also make sure you have fun and keep everything safe.

Murph

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #39  
as someone said before me, 1 machine can not do all thighs well. i use a 5.5 hp walk behind, for close stuff, and an 18hp gt for the rest of my yard lawn, and then the b2400 for cutting the wide open spaces, removing snow, moving dirt, dragging trees,etc. check your options well.

/ 15 acres, which tractor? #40  
Dano,

Just less than a year ago I was hot on the 'bota trail, ready to write a check for 15K just like you and convinced bota, deere or another conventional tractor would be the right choice for our place. I stumbled onto TBN and asked a few questions that changed my perspective in ways I could never have guessed (it was mostly da Rube's and MossRoad's fault).

The best thing to do at this juncture, IMHO, in addition to kicking tires, is to spend ample time looking through the TBN discussion forums. Almost any question or issue you can imagine has been posted here with sometimes witty, generally fabulous, and thoroughly experienced responses.

From what I gathered, I would opine that no one person, dealer or otherwise can be your "travel guide"...you just need to figure out what responses resonate with you for whatever reasons are most important to you.

The research stage you are in right now can be a lot of fun, second only to seat time. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Get lots of brochures and web addresses to pore over, make some lists, ask lots of questions and Enjoy the process!