'15 F-450 Pickup

/ '15 F-450 Pickup #91  
The 6.7 diesel has an amazing amount of power, even more than my '12 had. This engine is rated at 440 hp and 86o lb/ft torque. Mash on it hard and the rear tires try to break loose even in third gear. The traction control kicks in when it senses a slip. I was very satisfied with the ride, it's much smoother than my '08 was, about like a one ton or heavy 3/4 ton truck.

in 1974 i spent some time behind a cummins ntc-335 in a kenworth w900. the interstate weight limit had just been bumped to 80000 lbs and the ntc-335 was a very common engine in those days for pulling those heavy loads. 14 liter displacement, 335 horsepower, and while i don't remember the torque rating i think it was around 850 or 950 ft/lbs.

42 years later and manufacturers are pulling 131% more power out of half the displacement and putting that into a pickup truck. progress...

/ '15 F-450 Pickup
The first diesel pickup I owned was an '82 GMC with the 6.2 diesel. About 130 hp and 250 lb/ft torque. Blew two head gaskets and cracked a head in the short time I owned it. I could barely pull an unloaded trailer at 55 mph. No problems pulling a loaded trailer at legal speeds with any of the new engines. The large displacement diesels are designed for long-term life at full load. A diesel engine designed for a pickup would not stand up to 80,000# GCWR day after day.

/ '15 F-450 Pickup #93  
in 1974 i spent some time behind a cummins ntc-335 in a kenworth w900. the interstate weight limit had just been bumped to 80000 lbs and the ntc-335 was a very common engine in those days for pulling those heavy loads. 14 liter displacement, 335 horsepower, and while i don't remember the torque rating i think it was around 850 or 950 ft/lbs.

42 years later and manufacturers are pulling 131% more power out of half the displacement and putting that into a pickup truck. progress...

Funny you mention that, I just pulled a 80K semi that was broken down in the middle of the road. It was a slight incline and my rears struggled to maintain traction, but we got her out of the intersection and off to the shoulder. Driver wasn't sure it I could do it. He let me keep his chain as thanks. :laughing:

/ '15 F-450 Pickup #94  
Could we get a 2.5 year update on the pickup?

/ '15 F-450 Pickup #95  
It just turned 100k towing my 5th wheel. Scaled at 25K total and didn't feel the trailer at all.

So, the bad news is at 85K the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) failed. This has happened to a few people, although it seems that post 2015 the incidents have decreased markedly. Of course Ford says it is water in the fuel, but this truck never has given a water in fuel (WIF) warning and I put the DieselSite filter kit on in the first 500 miles. If the fuel pump was destroyed by bad fuel, it got there through four filters and without any warnings. Thus, most of us that have had this do not believe Ford's explanation. The repair involves replacing the entire fuel system between the tank and the injectors, approximately $10K. Now, for most people, including me, insurance covers it under comprehensive loss.

I knew when I bought the truck that there were reports of this failure, so I bought the extended warranty, which turned out to be worthless since the claim was denied.

Some will say that I did something wrong. I don't believe that based on my usage and fueling. I will say that outside of this failure, the truck has been perfect. I'm watching for any other reports on the newer trucks, but really haven't seen any, so most likely, I'll get another one when the time comes.

/ '15 F-450 Pickup
Could we get a 2.5 year update on the pickup?

Still running great at 26,000 miles. Got a check engine light last summer and they had to replace an exhaust gas temp sensor.