15 GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado (heavy pic thread).

/ 15 GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado (heavy pic thread). #71  
yup
I wonder what's next, accessories?
a Kevlar jock strap? :D

/ 15 GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado (heavy pic thread). #72  
this is an interesting viewpoint on the market for the Colorado, and the need for a basic model.

Last week, we asked if you would be interested in buying a Volkswagen Amarok, a midsize truck available in most world markets though not in the U.S. or Canada. The 4x2 and 4x4 Amarok pickups are available in a number of configurations and feature thrifty diesel engines that return 29 to 33 mpg depending on the model. The $24,600 starting price of the Amarok in other markets has made it a popular model around the world, though Volkswagen USA isn't quite ready to start importing it. It would be prohibitively expensive as a result of the "Chicken Tax," unless they were to committed to building it in the U.S. With more than 700 of you taking part in the poll, an astonishing 94 percent said you would be interested in the Amarok if it were available in the U.S., probably due to the low starting price and the fuel-efficient diesels. Volkswagen needs to take note of this.

Read more: Would you buy an all-wheel-drive Volkswagen Passat Alltrack station wagon? - Autoweek

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140110/CARNEWS01/140109965

Last edited:
   / 15 GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado (heavy pic thread). #73  
VW has a very bad reputation in the US. They are notorious for getting rated at or near the bottom in long term quality. I suspect any poll would be optimistic at best.

/ 15 GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado (heavy pic thread). #74  
Only bad thing I've heard about their diesel is that you need to be religious about changing the timing belt... we went through a couple of their engines on Linde forklifts where I used to work for that "minor" detail.

/ 15 GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado (heavy pic thread). #75  
Remember the ZR-2 package on the S-10's? 1/2 ton axels w factory lift, 33in tires and fender flares. There is talks of that package showing up again on these new trucks.

I got my youngest son a '97 cab&1/2 ZR2 in Nov 96. He put 225,000+ on it when sold in '10. Its in Mexico somewhere now. He wants a new Colorado CC (need to see what the cost will be). I owned 3-ZR2 Blazers ('97,'00 & '05) from '97 to '12. The '05 was auto and it sucked (2 mpg worst mileage).

/ 15 GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado (heavy pic thread). #76  
VW has a very bad reputation in the US. They are notorious for getting rated at or near the bottom in long term quality. I suspect any poll would be optimistic at best.

I always thought it was the other way around? Everyone I've talked to about VW say they have a great rep and last forever.

/ 15 GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado (heavy pic thread). #77  
I always thought it was the other way around? Everyone I've talked to about VW say they have a great rep and last forever.

My understanding is that VW has a higher frequency of repair, more than you would expect from a car with high-quality German engineering. My memory is that their cars usually score very highly in performance and functionality; but I guess they wind up in the shop too much. Personally, I own a VW golf TDI which runs flawlessly, but only after I had to badger a local dealer to install an intercooler upgrade kit, which should have been part of a general recall, but VW stonewalled all the way and made every owner come in one at a time after their engines had a problem, as mine did.

VW wants to become the largest car manufacturer in the world. Last year I think their sales actually dropped in the United States and that sure has them worried. Their cars have great engineering and performance; now they need to take better care of their customers and build more reliability into their products.

/ 15 GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado (heavy pic thread). #78  
Every VW I have been around, not many probably 10, end up with electrical issues. Some are simple like bad switches but others had issues so great the entire fuse/relay box had to be replaced.

Chris

/ 15 GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado (heavy pic thread). #80