1500 MF 8x8 Noisy Transmission

/ 1500 MF 8x8 Noisy Transmission #1  

ChallengerMT265B

Tractor
Challenger MT265b
I have a MT265B (same as MF 1533) with and 8X8 tran with less then 12 hrs.
The Transmission is noisy in 4th.
Is this just gear noise??

/ 1500 MF 8x8 Noisy Transmission #2  
Yeah, 4th make a bit of noise.
It sounds to me like a straight-cut gear, running kind'a fast.
In which case the sound is normal.
Back in the late 60s, early 70s, GM had a 4 speed that they put in their muscle cars that sounded just like that.
It took on the nickname, "rock crusher".
Good tranny though.

/ 1500 MF 8x8 Noisy Transmission #3  
HarryVanderpool said:
Yeah, 4th make a bit of noise.
It sounds to me like a straight-cut gear, running kind'a fast.
In which case the sound is normal.
Back in the late 60s, early 70s, GM had a 4 speed that they put in their muscle cars that sounded just like that.
It took on the nickname, "rock crusher".
Good tranny though.
Was that tranny in the GM the old "M21"? It was a noisy bugger. BTW, 4th gear in my 8x8 FarmTrac 270 is quite noisy as well at full road speed. You can hear the thing whining, I think they all do it. No worries

John

/ 1500 MF 8x8 Noisy Transmission #4  
I think it's more the speed the gears are turing rather than 4th gear. My 1529 has the 8x8 shuttle and 4th gear low range is not that noisy but it 4th high at full speed you can hear them. I don't drive around much at that speed anyway, but it is still not as bad as the straight cut gears in my old Cockshutt

Frank

/ 1500 MF 8x8 Noisy Transmission #5  
NewToy said:
Was that tranny in the GM the old "M21"? It was a noisy bugger. BTW, 4th gear in my 8x8 FarmTrac 270 is quite noisy as well at full road speed. You can hear the thing whining, I think they all do it. No worries

John

Well as memory serves, it was the M22 fine splined input shaft that was the "rock crusher" also had a drain plug were as the others just had a place for it...M21 came in wide ratio or close ratio and were much more available...
Anyhow my 1433v is a little noisier in 4th low range also...:cool:

/ 1500 MF 8x8 Noisy Transmission #6  
Tractors are designed to accommodate more fluid in the transmission than the dip stick or the sight glass shows as the recommended amount. I would add an extra gallon to see if that eliminated the noise.