1529 tire chains

/ 1529 tire chains #11  
As for fluid in the tires. I recommend Windshield Washer fluid. It's cheap. Adding rear tire weight will help quite a bit toward not needing chains.

If you buy chains, get 2 link ladder chains. They work more than twice as good as 4 link.

Not much common ground between Jeepin on dry rock and tractorin on snow. Sometimes traction is just hard to get. :)

Burn Out.jpg

/ 1529 tire chains
Arizona that's an impressive climb with that jeep. Have you had any issues with the rear end coming up when lifting with the bucket? I know the 1529 is heavy for its size so I'm just curious how well it does with no ballast.

No rear end lift even with a full load of dirt in the bucket. I also moved some good loads of rock this summer without any rear tire lift issue.

/ 1529 tire chains #13  
Being I do all my snow clearing with the bucket, the rear of the tractor gets light enough with a full load that it does alot of spinning. Plus I purchased wheel weights when I bought my 1532. I first winter I owned the tractor was without chains, the second winter I purchased rear chains. They are a great help. I wouldn't go without them now.
Plus I also added front chains to my tractor, as there are times when I need to push snow down into the ditch at my driveway approach. Without the chains I would have to use the bucket to push myself out. Now it is very seldom I use the bucket to push myself out.
A couple cons though! I put down rubber matts on my shop floor because the chains will scar the floor up pretty quick.
Also I had to add rubber deflectors/bumpers to the front leading edges of the rear tractor fenders. As I mentioned earlier, I push snow down into the ditch, when I try to back out, the rear tires will spin and if they spin fast enough and due to the slack in the chains, they will snag the front sheet metal of the fender. I had to do a little repair in my tractor because of that. It wasn't too serious but enough to make me think I better do something about it. I have used trap straps to take out the slack but the rear chains are a ladder chain with two large cross links that tie every second ladder together. The tarp straps make these cross links stand up and will cause them to hit the fenders even more.
Anyway I love them, they are a pain to put on, but I wouldn't go without them now

/ 1529 tire chains
Man from Crooked River,
Thank you for the detailed information regarding the perfomance of your 1532 with and without chains. Since your tractor is a very close brother to mine, I'm confident that items you noted are directly applicable to mine. You mentioned keeping the rear chains tight. Did you opt for one of the various chain tensioners offered by the chain companies? If so, which one? Just wondering if a made to fit tensioner still needed help in keeping the chains tight.

/ 1529 tire chains #15  
In regards to chain tensioners, I never did try any. As if the chains were too tight, the cross link or D link's that connected the ladder chains together would stand up more and not lay flat to the tire, which they need to. This would cause D-links would hit the fender even more. The links are quite large, and there are two pairs of two connecting every second ladder chain to the next. (I'm not sure if I explained that correctly but I think you know what I mean) The fit of the chains to the tire isn't sloppy or loose, as such. It's just that there is some play and the clearance of the fender sheet metal at the front (at the step to operator platform) and the front of the tire is pretty close. I mentioned in my other reply, that I tried tarp straps to tighten the chains, but that makes things worse, so I go without. Also it's only when in reverse and if you have a rear tire break traction and spin, that causes the chain to whip out and connect the fender, and just a quick hit. I imagine it's the D-links that hit the fender. To me not it's a minor issue

/ 1529 tire chains
Thanks for the additional info. Much appreciated. My chains are due in tomorrow. I know the style you were describing. I didn't get that type so with any luck, I won't have the clearance issue you described. Take care and stay warm. :)

/ 1529 tire chains
Chains arrived today....150 pounds worth of shiny new tire chain. :O Will see if I can get them on tomorrow.

I was plowing my neighbors yard a couple of days ago. He is laid up with a torn tendon in his ankle. He notice the MF was struggling for traction on multiple occasions. I was at his place again today to help his wife move firewood from the wood pile to their basement. When we were done, he told me he would weld a weight box for the 3 pt hitch. He can't do it until this coming summer but I don't mind. Next snow season should be a lot better!

/ 1529 tire chains
Chains are installed. I got them from Tirechain.com. I spend $10 for their tool that helps adjust tension on the chain. Worth it, in my opinion. I also bought a pair of spring loaded tensioners which fit the outside of the tire....they too seem to work well so far. Install for the 2nd tire was easier than the 1st....and the fact that my wife got home and was able to lend a hand really made a difference too.

Ran the tractor for about 15 minutes moving some snow. Need to take up a notch on the outer chain before I do more work with it. No clearance issues so far, albeit I've not ran at highway speed yet.

I was totally impressed with the traction improvement. Areas that previously caused rear tire spin 2 days ago are no longer an issue with the chains. I've got some 3/4" particle board left over from a construction project. I think I'll lay a couple of sheets down in the garage for parking the tractor now that the chains are on.

20161230_155912.jpg

20161230_155924.jpg

20161230_160146.jpg

20161230_160152.jpg

20161230_160201.jpg

20161230_161302.jpg

/ 1529 tire chains #19  
Those chains look awesome. My tractor lives in the NC mountains, so it does not really need a set of chains. It is mountainous there, though, and I have filled rear tires. In my time using the tractor, I have never lost traction due to a light rear end. I have moved quite a few buckets FULL of heavy stones and also a good bit of dirt while reworking my driveway. For my situation, the filled rears are very important and I keep the tractor in 4wd all the time. Love that thing... Anyway, a weight box might provide the same result. Good luck!

/ 1529 tire chains
deanocraft, thanks. This past summer, I worked in the woods pulling out trees that had been cut down. If I chained up too many to pull, or had to take too tight a turn around a stump, I would break traction. I'm sure a weight box might would have reduced it but it didn't happen all that often. I'm not losing that much time taking a few less trees each trip.