Generator 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #21  
yep.. as a rule of thumb.. 2 pto hp per kw being generated puts you at a safe point.. it's actually theoretically less.. but once you introduce real wold variables.. 2hp/1kw is a good guideline.. so yeah.. you had surplus hp.. and thus rpm stayed the same ( good governor response too! ).

soundguy

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #22  
If anyone in this neck of the woods is interested, there's a guy down the street from me w/ a 30KW Surge PTO generator for sale asking $1500

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #23  
I think the PTO generator makes a lot of sense in the huricane area where I live. Each year all the Lowes & HD stores refuse to accept returns on the many portable units that they sell. That is becase people run them without oil and never service them. Each year you can buy them cheap because they don't run with last years gas and dirty carbs and fuel tanks.
For intermittant use the PTO style is the trick.

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #24  
I have two 12K generators. One is a Northern Tool 12KW PTO generator, the other is the exact same generator head except powered by a 24 HP B & S Vangaurd engine. I power the PTO generator with a L245DT Kubota tractor. I've noticed that the PTO generator is MUCH harder to keep adjusted when the loads change. That may be because of my older tractor, but if I had it all to do over again I would have just bought another stand-alone generator and not bothered with the PTO model. When I need power, all I have to do is wheel the self-powered unit in place, plug it in, press the start button, and supply gas. If I want to run the PTO model, first I have to start the tractor, then in all probility, remove the backhoe, then hookup the generator. On top of all that, I have to be constantly watching the voltage to be sure it doesn't over or under charge the voltage due to different loads.

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #25  
I have looked at these so many times and I have often wondered if it would be possible to take a PTO generator and change the output wiring to have a single output plug.. not (2) 20 amp and x-30 amp etc..
BUT one 100 Amp...

Or has anyone seen something already done?

Later,
Jim

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #26  
I have two 12K generators. One is a Northern Tool 12KW PTO generator, the other is the exact same generator head except powered by a 24 HP B & S Vangaurd engine. I power the PTO generator with a L245DT Kubota tractor. I've noticed that the PTO generator is MUCH harder to keep adjusted when the loads change. That may be because of my older tractor, but if I had it all to do over again I would have just bought another stand-alone generator and not bothered with the PTO model. When I need power, all I have to do is wheel the self-powered unit in place, plug it in, press the start button, and supply gas. If I want to run the PTO model, first I have to start the tractor, then in all probility, remove the backhoe, then hookup the generator. On top of all that, I have to be constantly watching the voltage to be sure it doesn't over or under charge the voltage due to different loads.

That l245 is a tad on the anemic side. According tot he data I can find, you don't even have enough pto hp to reun the genny to full output.

I'd expect sluggish / lowered performance on a machine that didn't have the needed hp.

while having more genny than hp is ok in the fact that you won't be thermally taxing the genny due to reduced load.. I usually like to have excess pto hp so that dynamic load changes on the pto gen aren't dramatically noticed.

when running my pto gen ( northern 12k ) on a 33hp antique.. it does a decent job.. large loads that are motors or otherwise that hit for 1/4 to 1/3 of the genny rating do cause the engine to laod up.. however she keeps the rpms up and freq votlage within tolerance.

that same gen on my ford 5000 ( 67pto ).. or my 7610s ( ~90pto ).. load on the pto makes -0- difference whatsoever to the engine or pto rpm.. just plenty of excess hp and flywheel inertia to keep it all playing nice.

( I'm not sugesting you need that much pto hp.. just saying it's one of those cases where more is better than 'enough'.. )

soundguy

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #27  
slotoro,

It sounds to me like the Generac engine had a carburetor adjustment problem. At least anytime my gas engine genset stumbles like you describe it has been because the carb is running lean. This usually only occurs in the first few minutes of getting it up and running in an outage. I richen it up, get it leveled out, then lean it back to normal and all seems good.

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #28  
I have a Ford 1320 tractor that shows 16.5 HP from the PTO. The tractor motor is 20HP. What will happen if I buy the 65309 Harbor Freight generator. Will it operate? I just need to keep a few lights and ref/freezer going. Not necessarily all at the same time. Everything is 110v. I realize that I would not have maximum rated output.
It would seem that as long as I have the 540RPM from the PTO, I should be OK?
Appreciate the advice.:confused2:

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #29  
I have a Ford 1320 tractor that shows 16.5 HP from the PTO. The tractor motor is 20HP. What will happen if I buy the 65309 Harbor Freight generator. Will it operate? I just need to keep a few lights and ref/freezer going. Not necessarily all at the same time. Everything is 110v. I realize that I would not have maximum rated output.
It would seem that as long as I have the 540RPM from the PTO, I should be OK?
Appreciate the advice.:confused2:

It will work fine right up until you try to pull more electrical power out than you have mechanical power going in. So, if you stay under that threshold, you'll be fine. If you exceed it, the engine will bog down and you will have low voltage and the wrong frequency which might damage some electrical devices.

/ 15KW PTO Generator Harbor Freight #30  
It will work but like you said it will not give full power.

If you need such a small load why spend so much and just get a $500 stand alone genny???

Chris