Tires 16.9 x 38 vs 15.5 x 38

/ 16.9 x 38 vs 15.5 x 38 #11  
Just curious. John Deere doesn't list 38" tires as an option. Standard rims are 15" width by 28" diameter. Operator says tractor is slow. If someone put 38" tires on it would be very fast. Unlisted option by Deere or is my info obsolete?

PC 1539 page 80-22 clearly shows double bevel rim part # R31491 with the note (15.5x38 tire).

Edit: the following page shows two additional part numbers for 38" rims.

/ 16.9 x 38 vs 15.5 x 38 #12  
Now my curiousity is rolling. How can a tractor be set up for both 28 and 38 inch rims? Did Deere put in a different rear end? If not then like MharryE says this thing should fly. Do the fenders not go over the rear tire? How do they not hit or are there different fenders? What about drawbar height - you are talking about 5" in drawbar height difference?

/ 16.9 x 38 vs 15.5 x 38 #13  
You can study the parts catalog (like I did to confirm what I already knew about tire sizes) and see if there were ring & pinion choices.
There were at least two fender styles, and flat top fenders are height adjustable (again, the parts catalog can answer your question).
Drawbar height? Check tire manufacturer's websites end compare the loaded radius numbers for the sizes in question. Will they vary by 5"? Maybe, maybe not.
It isn't as simple as subtracting 28 from 38 and dividing the answer by 2.
Drawbars are offset and could be flipped so the offset can be up or down. Yes, PTO shaft / hitch geometry needds to be considered.

If you are really curious, you can answer many of your own questions and learn how to answer similar future questions.
Additionally, verifying info like that avoids all the TBN-type banter and drama about who knows what and why that is seen in countless other threads.

/ 16.9 x 38 vs 15.5 x 38 #14  
Deere used to offer most of the utility tractors in multiple configurations. Basically there was a low-utility, utility, and row-crop versions and multiple variations of each(sometimes also a mudder and high-crop version as well.) There are three tractors of the same size/vintage around here setup three different ways:

Our 2550 Row-crop:
-8/4 TSS transmission with independent PTO
-rack and pinion rear axle with cast wheels, 15.5-38" rubber
-wide adjustable front axle, 7.50-16 tires
-large row crop style flat top fenders
-deluxe lever release SCV valves and extendable lower draft links

Neighbor 1's 2550 in the low utility config (MFWD with loader)
-standard 8/4 transmission with left hand reverser, continuous running PTO
-flange rear axles, steel wheels, 28" rear rubber (I think they are 16.9-28's but not sure)
-mfwd, so obviously a different front axle
-small shell type rear fenders, deluxe lever release scv valves and non-extendable draft links

Neighbor 2's 2350 in the standard configuration: (2wd with loader)
-standard 8/4 transmission with left hand reverser, continuous running PTO
-flange rear axles, steel wheels, 16.9-30 rear rubber
-slightly narrower but still adjustable front axle, I think it has either 11L-15 or 10-16 front tires
-row crop fenders, standard style scv valves and non-extendable draft links

Obviously the row crop version is sold more for field work, the low utility more as a loader tractor and the standard utility as just an all purpose tractor. There is a big difference in ground clearance and overall height between ours and neighbor 1's 2550. Neighbor 2's is closer in height to ours vs the low utility. The drawbars can be turned up or down to accommodate this, not sure about differences in the 3pt. In the early years (10/20 series) they really sold them based on those configurations, when you get to the 30/40 series the definitions weren't quite as clear, and by the 50/55 series they were more 'option packages' as opposed to different models. I don't know if they used a different gear ratio for the different tires, but my guess is they did not. I do know that for the 2550 there is a 16mph tach/speedo and a 20mph tach/speedo, which I guess would correlate to tire size (ours uses the 20mph).

As to the OP, I'd be inclined to try mounting them up since you already have them. If you were buying new I would have stuck to the 15.5's for reasons mentioned (change in speed/gearing, 3pt geometry, etc). If you do want to go back to 15.5-38's I'm sure you could sell those 16.9's for a fair price.

Attached is a pic of ours in the row-crop config with 15.5-38's

Attachments

• IMG_0194sm.JPG
    IMG_0194sm.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 276
   / 16.9 x 38 vs 15.5 x 38 #15  
Thanks Verticaltrx. I never knew that Deere did that but it makes a lot of sense. Appreciate your spelling it out!

/ 16.9 x 38 vs 15.5 x 38 #16  
If you do not like the 16.9-38 tires, let me know I need a set. My tractor and shop burned and I need a set. If you know where I can get another used set that would be great!

/ 16.9 x 38 vs 15.5 x 38 #17  
I'm looking for a set 15.5x38 tractor tire prefer used.they go on a Cockshutt 30 show tractor so tread doesn't matter much . 865 804 2926.