16 x 24 Pole barn planned for the spring

/ 16 x 24 Pole barn planned for the spring #31  
The question now is whether or not this design requires the rafters to be tied together via a floor joist. The building is going to be 24' long and I'm thinking that I really only want the loft to cover half of it. So basically half the rafters will be tied together with 2 x 12 x 20 floor joists and half of them won't be. Any thoughts?

I see another question: Did your building get wider? Now you're talking 20' wide? With that span, you'd likely have to investigate wood i-joists.

Not having ceiling joists to tie the wall together is problematic. Something will have to be done to keep the walls from bowing.

And you really probably want a full loft floor anyway. It'll be pretty tough to insulate that gambrel roof unless you step up to sprayed foam. OTOH, conventionally insulation under the loft floor will keep the shop pretty cozy.

Bob

/ 16 x 24 Pole barn planned for the spring
I see another question: Did your building get wider? Now you're talking 20' wide? With that span, you'd likely have to investigate wood i-joists.

:D Well, everyone was telling me to go bigger... But yes, I figured going up to 20' couldn't hurt, especially since I had a good rafter design.

Not having ceiling joists to tie the wall together is problematic. Something will have to be done to keep the walls from bowing.

Steel cable? If I do the half loft I thought about running two cables, evenly spaced, between the beams on the open side with turnbuckles so I could tighten them up as/if needed.

Last edited:
   / 16 x 24 Pole barn planned for the spring #33  
Roxul comfortbat will get you R15 in a 2X4 cavity. Available in either 16" or 24" OC batts.

Love that stuff. So easy to work with. Easy to cut. No stapling. No sprays. No subcontractors.

$0.02