160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs -

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #21  
Re: 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn\'rs -

LCH sent 2 here - they're bunking in the office. We are co-located with county OEM and there are bunk rooms upstairs. No idea how long they'll be here. - mfk, esa, hgx

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #22  

French Quarters was fairly dry last night and this morning they woke up to 2 foot of water. I believe the levy broke... they may not have escaped quite so well after all.

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #23  

I have to fly into New Olreans in a few days for an executive board meeting for an association I am involved with. . . something tells me the meeting will be cancelled or posponed. FOX and CNN are both saying the water is getting higher, the French Quarter and downtown areas are now getting flooding. The causeway is damaged, the two main bridges are closed, airports are closed. Marshall law was reporetedly declared in the city.

I've got a friend down there with a large warehouse that supplies food to much of the area down there (5 of the Gulf states) and his warehouse is on the east side of the city where damage is the worst, I can't get in touch with him but I figure he has bigger worries than talking to me. I suspect that we will see food prices increase nationally as food is shipped to the south from all over the nation to restock the destroyed food supplies. Also I suspect poultry prices will increase due to the destruction of some large scale chicken farms. Gas & diesel will go up to . . . hmmm?

I hope all our TBN friends down there got to high ground!

Want to take any bets on how many foreign nations will send aid to the USA in our time of need?

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #24  

Heard the airports were under water in Nawlins too.

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #25  

I believe it. Had offers from region to send more bodies. Problem is lack of places to work, with all the workstations taken already. C'est la vie.

Steve, journey MOB

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #26  

News sources -

Here's the best source of up-to-the-minute updates I have found for New Orleans: Times-Picayune.

A reference to many sources of varying accuracy, from professional news to first-person blogs: List of Web Resources.

And Google News indexes a wide variety of newspaper reports, 6,500 at the moment. These include detailed news and also overviews such as public health, energy prices, etc.

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #27  

The PMO from New Orleans evac'd here - will now be working from our office and living with me ufn. I've never actually met her - but her husband and I go back 25 years.

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #28  

Well, I dug up that Scientific American article online about New Orleans' vunerability but you have to pay for the full article. Its from October 2001 and the 2 paragraph synopsis sounds like some people weren't surprised by this. Attached is a link to the free synopsis. Scientific American warning

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #29  

Here is the full article:

http://www.sciam.com/print_version.cfm?articleID=00060286-CB58-1315-8B5883414B7F0000

National Geographic Magazine also has a similar publication as well.

What is so amazing is how the entire government was able to keep this subject a Top Secret for decades and decades and that no one anywhere was privvy to any of this information??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ 160 mph, cat 5, katrina..... LA, MS, AL...tbn'rs - #30  

Mike,

I think things are finally getting shifted to where they need to be. Have two workstations coming from region and two more from the Slidell office. Currently have two helpers from BMX, with two more coming over from LIX. LASt we talked to them, ~40 people are living at the WFO. At least they have a larger facility to accomodate them. Now gas is the problem. People with half a tank of gas hopping into a line, buring half or more of that to get some more for a little while. It's crazy. Lines were several blocks in some places at 7am this morning as I was coming to work. Heard a barge came into t he port at Pensacola (the closest port facility able to do this).

On a side bar, see a large sky blue and white 747 sitting across the tarmac at the Coast GUard facility. Guess the big guy is in town. Yep, CNN has it live.

Steve