1600 series tractors

/ 1600 series tractors #21  
Interested in reading what you discover, a quick web search confirmed MF stuck with their initial plans;

"EPA Final Tier 4 (FT4) emissions requirements are achieved through closed crankcase ventilation (CCV), diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) and a regenerative diesel particulate filter (DPF). The DPF system used removes soot and particulate matter from the exhaust relying on engine heat to oxidize particulates into a gas. In most cases this system works automatically with no operator involvement. But as we've been told, if the tractor sees only light duty, possibly in hobby farm usage or the like, the instrumentation will prompt the operator to depress a dash mounted switch to start the regenerative action".

A quick search on the 5055E on their site stated the three cylinder diesel meets IIIA standards, unsure if they just haven't updated their site or if I'm missing something.......

/ 1600 series tractors #23  
A lot of information out there to read, some of it obviously subjective when reading why a particular manufacturer chose one process over another.

At the end of the day what has turned some people off of selective catalytic reduction is that it requires the replenishment / use of fluids (cost and additional maintenance, albeit minimal from what I've read).

Probably one of the most telling signs I've read is that most major manufacturers of automotive diesels seem to be going SCR over other emission reduction systems for diesel engines. SCR certainly seems to have been around the longest, unsure whether that makes it the most appropriate application for CUTs though.

/ 1600 series tractors #24  
A lot of information out there to read, some of it obviously subjective when reading why a particular manufacturer chose one process over another. At the end of the day what has turned some people off of selective catalytic reduction is that it requires the replenishment / use of fluids (cost and additional maintenance, albeit minimal from what I've read). Probably one of the most telling signs I've read is that most major manufacturers of automotive diesels seem to be going SCR over other emission reduction systems for diesel engines. SCR certainly seems to have been around the longest, unsure whether that makes it the most appropriate application for CUTs though.

MF has an excellent SCR system on their bigger tractors, they should of put it on all of them.

/ 1600 series tractors #25  
I agree that if the application of existing technology (even if modified for use on smaller diesel engines) makes it more economical and dependable, let's do it. I would prefer a system that doesn't require use of replenishable fluids, particularly when some of those fluids come with a potential risk.

/ 1600 series tractors #26  
It sounds like the base engine is clean enough that they didn't need the SCR. I know my VW TDI doesn't use SCR and has the particulate filter which does a great job. After over 40K miles, the inside of the tailpipe is still spotless.

/ 1600 series tractors #27  
I am a firm believer in KISS and if it works, don't fix it! It would make sense that if the objective is to significantly reduce emissions that a system be engineered that, as I've said, doesn't require the manufacture / transport / handling and storage of potentially hazardous fluids to obtain that goal.

/ 1600 series tractors #28  
The nice part of the 1700 Series Emission System is Maintenance or Additional Costs. The Particulate Filter is estimated at 3,000 Hours before it needs service...99% of my customers will never need to maintain or add anymore cost of ownership. Unlike other brands. Massey is using a mixture of technology but I think they are trying to use the simplest and lowest cost of maintenance for the customer.

GC Series - No Scheduled Exhaust Maintenance or Regeneration
1700 Series - Diesel Particulate Filter at approximately 3,000 Hours
4600 Series - No Scheduled Exhaust Maintenance or Regeneration
Small Frame 5600 - No Scheduled Maintenance or Regeneration
Large Frame 5600, 6600, 7600, 8600 - Selective Catalyst Reduction SCR uses DEF but is dispensed based on pre and post treatment sensors to very low levels compared to others using computer program to dump X amount per RPMs and load. Massey is trying to achieve Total Fluid Conservation

I am not a fan of Diesel Particulate Filters because of added costs to ownership. And most salesman are not going to tell you what the total cost of ownership is going to cost you. And is a question every tractor buyer should ask now. What is my emission maintenance costs and when and how often? I've heard some Diesel Particulate Filters on larger tractors costing up to $5,000 to replace, so I haven't been a fan of adding costs to customer ownership costs but 3,000 hours estimated life it looks like Massey Ferguson made the best decision.

/ 1600 series tractors #29  
IMG_1312.JPG

New Ground Level Fueling with Skid Plate Protection Under the tank.

IMG_1313.JPG

New Seat Suspension with 4 Different Height Adjustment. Just pull up on seat to cycle thru the 4 Positions.

IMG_1315.JPG

New Diesel Particulate Filter to Meet EPA Tier IV Emissions Requirements. Does Regen with Automatic or Manual Regen and has Digital Readout of Status of System. Diesel Particulate Filter but estimate life is 3,000 Hours before servicing required.

IMG_1316.JPG

WasteGate Turbocharger. Creates Max Turbo Boost at Low RPM and bleeds off excess at higher RPM to maintain higher turbo boost at all RPM Ranges.

IMG_1317.JPG

New Ground Level Fueling Top View and Left Side Cab Entry

IMG_1318.JPG

New Cloth Seat in Cab Versions

IMG_1319.JPG

New Steering wheel with horn and New Dash configuration.

IMG_1320.JPG

New Dash Panel with Multi Function LCD Display and Warning Lights

IMG_1321.JPG

New Headliner. More head room. Sun Visor, New HVAC Vents that are spaced more around the cab and easier to direct air where operator wants air.

IMG_1322.JPG

New Hazard Lights on Front of Cab.

IMG_1323.JPG

Left Side of Engine

IMG_1324.JPG

New Draft Control System on Rear End

IMG_1325.JPG

Rear End View of 1759 PowerShuttle

IMG_1326.JPG

Remote Fuel Filter and Water Separator and New Location for Mid Mount Hydraulic connections

IMG_1327.JPG

Right Side of the Engine

IMG_1329.JPG

High Pressure Common Rail Fuel Delivery System

IMG_1330.JPG

New Exhaust System exits Right Side and Very Quiet

IMG_1332.JPG

Right side step and fuel tank

IMG_1334.JPG

Right Side view of Skid Plate under Fuel Tank

IMG_1335.JPG

Right Side Cab Entry and Controls.

IMG_1336.JPG

New HVAC System mounted on rear of Cab to increase head room and ease of service.

Here is some images from new 1759 we just got today. I'm going to try to shoot a video tomorrow showcasing the features. I can tell you this the 1759 is the quietest running engine of ant compact I've heard. Very impressed.

Last edited:
   / 1600 series tractors #30  
Nice pics, thanks for posting.

Interior looks identical with a few exceptions, air ride seat, what looks to be a sunvisor up front etc. Position of controls remains unchanged which is nice, I like how my cab is laid out. Will be interested to hear whether the seat is transferrable to the 1660, should bolt right up by the look of it.

Position and types of lighting outside is nice. Mine comes standard with signal lights, 4 way flashers, front and rear lighting, headlights with high beam and low beam but no running lights on the rear fenders (rear lenses look like they could be wired for some) or brake lights, I do think it should be standard equipment on a tractor this size. I like the flashers up high, although a different shape they remain high on the rear posts which is good.

Nice looking tractor, not surprising though...