1660 3 point hitch

/ 1660 3 point hitch #1  

Mud Mechanik

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1660
My 1660 has around 500 hours on it so far, and has been well taken care of. In the past few days, the 3 point hitch is lowering very slow, I adjusted the speed with the knob in the cab but it has no effect on it. I would think that with a load on it, it may help it speed up but it don't. Anyone have a similar problem or advice on where to start looking?

/ 1660 3 point hitch #2  
Do you mean it drops with the tractor running or off? My 1754 (18hrs) stays put until I move it, witch is what I'm guessing your used to? My B7510 on the other hand (511hrs) will bleed off slowly after I shut the engine off. So it's hard for me to say whats normal. I suspect that slowly bleeding down is normal as things wear. Just a guess though.

/ 1660 3 point hitch
when I lower it with the tractor running it is very slow to drop, it does not bleed down if the lever has not moved.

/ 1660 3 point hitch #4  
I'm with you now, have you greased the fitting(s) at the bottom the 3 point hydraulic cylinders?

/ 1660 3 point hitch #6  
The last thing I can think of, if you turn the speed knob to full lock dose it hit a stopping point and lock the 3 point? I'm just wondering if the knob/shaft might be broken.

/ 1660 3 point hitch
it does lock it when turned all the way to slow, but any other position on the knob makes no difference in drop speed.

/ 1660 3 point hitch #8  
Then it's probably an internal issue and may require a repair by the dealer. It sound (I think) like you have probably covered all the bases and obvious things.

Last edited: