1720 engine heater

/ 1720 engine heater #1  

rambler

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 960, 7700, TW20, 1720; IHC H, 300; Ollie S77
Well, the thermometer says 7 degrees right now.

Had my NH 1720 tractor for a few years, it starts well in cold temps, but if we are starting this cold this early.....

I don't seem to find any frost plug heaters for my model. A tank heater seems to be a pretty big thing to try to hang on this lettle tractor.

The magnetic heater I have doesn't seem to do very much.

What are my options? Help?

--->Paul

/ 1720 engine heater #2  
   / 1720 engine heater #3  
I have a block heater in a engine plug that works quite well by heating the antifreeze. I got it installed by my dealer when the tractor was new. I think they still sell them. I only plug it in for 30 minutes before I need to use the tractor. I would be very causious about using a dip stick heater. In my opinion (just my opinion) they boil the oil and ruin it. It certainly could not be left on for an extended period of time.

https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/webparts/main.php
Kit, heater engine coolant, part # 86590117

/ 1720 engine heater #4  
I have a block heater in a engine plug that works quite well by heating the antifreeze. I got it installed by my dealer when the tractor was new. I think they still sell them. I only plug it in for 30 minutes before I need to use the tractor. I would be very causious about using a dip stick heater. In my opinion (just my opinion) they boil the oil and ruin it. It certainly could not be left on for an extended period of time.

https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/webparts/main.php
Kit, heater engine coolant, part # 86590117

Hey ray,

Another "opinion of mine":D, this heater @ 90 watt and on a timer just 2 hrs before you start your work should not heat the oil too much and then the oil temp probably is a lot hotter than what the dipstick heater can cause during normal operation. By the way, we always heat the jacket water in out big diesel engine generator rather than the oil. I wonder if you can stick this thin heater in from the radiator cap.

JC,

/ 1720 engine heater
I want to heat the coolant; magnetic heaters don't seem to have enough oomph for a Minnesota winter, and likelwise with the oil heaters - they tend to char the oil if they output enough BTU's to do any good.

My problem is in trying to locate a frost plug or other style of heater for this particular model of tractor. I just don't see it listed on the common charts of heaters?

I have tractors with tank heaters, and a couple with the lower radiator heaters. But the compact size & nature of this tractor lends itself much better to a block heater of some sort, if I could find one.

I'm just drawing a blank in my research.

Added: Caught your reply after I posted JC - I appreciate the idea, but this tractor starts on it's own when it is about 5 degrees out. I think that's pretty hard on it, but - it's pretty impressive. When it is that cold and colder - I've had to run at minus 15 - then a couple 100 watts just doesn't do it. You need the head warmed up in addition to the crankcase, so the air drawn in gets a little heat to get started. I've had a 100 watt magnetic heater on the belly of it for 12 hours, and can't really notice that it did any warming at all, doesn't start any better, so I think at my temps, I need a little more oomph than that.

--->Paul

/ 1720 engine heater #6  
Rambler, New Holland still sells them. I furnished the part number for you. If you go to the link I listed you will be able to look it up.

/ 1720 engine heater
Rambler, New Holland still sells them. I furnished the part number for you. If you go to the link I listed you will be able to look it up.

D'oh. I was reading too fast, skimmed it & I think I took that as a tag line thing instead of help.

Thank you, appreciate it. What I was looking for. Your link must need to be logged in as a dealer, but the part # is all I need.

Need to slow down & enjoy life, actually pay attention I guess! :)

--->Paul

/ 1720 engine heater #8  

Pictures of my heater on 1700. The part number I gave you was for 1720. Pict #1 core plug unit. Pict #2 is for cord only. Hope it works for you, click on thumbnails to enlarge picture. Ray

Attachments

• DSC04872.jpg
    DSC04872.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 994
  • DSC04873.jpg
    DSC04873.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 320
   / 1720 engine heater #9  
Hey ray,

Another "opinion of mine":D, this heater @ 90 watt and on a timer just 2 hrs before you start your work should not heat the oil too much and then the oil temp probably is a lot hotter than what the dipstick heater can cause during normal operation. By the way, we always heat the jacket water in out big diesel engine generator rather than the oil. I wonder if you can stick this thin heater in from the radiator cap.

JC,

Hi JC. The last time I used a dipstick heater was around 1955 and I remember it getting so hot it was smoking when I took it out. They probably have improved them since then.:p Ray

/ 1720 engine heater #10  
Hi JC. The last time I used a dipstick heater was around 1955 and I remember it getting so hot it was smoking when I took it out. They probably have improved them since then.:p Ray

Hi Ray,

I bow to you my friend:) I was not even born when you used the dipstick heater, I was born in 1959 and sure can not duplicated your life experience.

By the way, I have used on many occasions piping freeze protection for diesel fuel piping application with above ground storage tank. The method of choice is usually electric heat trace application and nowadays they pretty much operated by a t-stat as control. We set them just to keep control of freezing.

JC,:)