Buying Advice 1758 Review

/ 1758 Review

/ 1758 Review #22  
Cool vids ...

So how are you feeling about the HST now that you've done a but more with it?

/ 1758 Review
For the work in these videos I would not want it any other way, roading with a wood trailer the geared shuttle would have been nice but I made the right choice. These tractors can lift.

/ 1758 Review #24  
For the work in these videos I would not want it any other way, roading with a wood trailer the geared shuttle would have been nice but I made the right choice. These tractors can lift.

Glad to hear that.

Yeah you're right, they definitely exceed specs and lift much more than their rating.

/ 1758 Review
More on the Massey for those looking at the 1700 series,,

I now have 23 hours on the tractor, at 20 hours the soot level bar graph went to 2. If every 10 hours I gain a bar then regen will take place around 50-60 or 5-6 bars.

I drove the machine 20 miles today for wood. 10 miles each way and It was a good way to get some time in it. We are muddy and soft with temps around 50 after a low of 30. Can still get in the woods on my federal wood permit early when things are still firm early. Don't think the loggers will get all their piled wood out though.

A couple of things I have noticed is that the Massey has no valve stem protection on the wheels like the Kioti and Bobcat does. I could maintain about 20 mph with empty trailer on the flat if I wanted to but the tractor seems to ride rough and I slow down to about 14-15 at around 2200 rpm. The seat feels; after sitting in it quite awhile today; as though it is slightly tilted forward. I never noticed this before and have adjusted the seat for my 6'3" height. I could have used a tad more cab room. Side windows when open/ one needs to be careful in the woods. You could bust one on a tree as they clear the fenders by some. Fuel consumption today is hard to judge but this unit has a 15 gallon tank and I would venture I used more than the Massey 2615 or the Case IH 55a would have. Roading a heavy load on the flats the HST in high pulled better than I thought. I slowed down some since my loader was full of wood. I did maybe 10-12 mph loaded and the only decent hill I had the tractor would not make the grade at 2500 RPM in high. The geared variants I have owned would have gone up no problem. HST trans still doesn't shift like I want it too. I need to tap pedals and fiddle faddle around sometimes to get a range from neutral. When I am in a hurry this bothers me. I had issues last night getting my 3rd function hoses connected for my Bobcat snow blade. There is no pressure relief valve on the system. Try as I might with the joystick to relieve pressure and turning the engine off and dumping the valves I still had to break the fittings lose on the snow blade in order to get the implement attached. I feel this is more a tractor issue than the snow blade issue since two different skid steers never required this procedure ever.

Windshield wiper at top of its coverage arc is right at my eye level. Maybe midgets were supposed to drive these things. Ran the A/C a little as I was overheating from wood cutting. Very nice and very cool.

HST trans in the woods and cut over super nice to creep and crawl around roots and sharp saplings cut off from the logging equipment. Despite the few limitations compared to a gears trans, the advantages for at least me give it the nod of approval.

The sheet metal on the lower part of the hood closest to the glass on the cab can vibrate and jiggle some when going over a series of bumps or having a specific harmonic with a RPM setting. Not a big deal just thought it could have been more rigid or reinforced at that location.

I ran most of the day in 2WD and I am certain that if the tires were not loaded I would have been required to lock it in for the work I did. Roading on the snow with my load I was in 2WD..

The steps up into cab are strong and stout. I weight #230,. The Kubotas I have looked at flexed at this location on every model I observed.

Overall happy with it and the few squawk will be discussed with dealer.
IMG_20150310_111100557_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150310_111132537_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150310_112558148_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150310_113002143_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150310_133619930_HDR.jpg

Wood Dump, digging this loader and the feel of the joystick/location

/ 1758 Review
High range stopped and shifted to Medium on hill

/ 1758 Review #27  
Good review again...

I'm assuming you burn thru more fuel because of the nature of HST, running higher RPM than gear. Regarding the Shift-lever being "sticky" ... I still notice that at times, and I'm around 425 hrs I believe. Usually it's just a tap of the pedals and she slips into range. It's something that I have grown accustomed to and hardly notice any more.

I'm wondering if the pressure on your front remotes is part of your dealer installed 3rd function. Maybe a check valve in the diverter keeps fluid in the system. Is it electronically controlled? Maybe with the key in the "acc" position, you can activate the valve and try to relieve pressure that way. I have to remember to do that when I use my electronic diverter on my rears, for my stump grinder. If I don't remember to relieve the pressure before I remove & park the grinder, I have to manually relieve the pressure with a hammer and a cloth. Pain in the azz and not the tractor or diverter's fault ... dumb user in that case.

Nice pics. Looks like that loader is working out after all. I wish you lived closer, it would be fun to put the loaders side by side on my pull scale, both for curl & lift force, to see if the new one is stronger or weaker at any given point.

Did they ever get the manual to you?

/ 1758 Review
Waiting on manual and cutting edge for loader will shoot you the info, so based on my description of the HST performance and the load I had, and the tires loaded, would you say the tractor is running to spec?

/ 1758 Review #29  
... so based on my description of the HST performance and the load I had, and the tires loaded, would you say the tractor is running to spec?

Yeah I would say so. I always try to plow snow in H for example. Flat ground, downhill, no problem. I can keep speed up around 15-16 mph. Uphill, I bleed speed until I'm around 9-10, then switch to M if necessary.

I'm in M probably 90% of the time. In fact, I don't think I use it for anything in the warm months besides road travel, or grooming gravel roads at "high speed" (for a tractor LOL) with a landscape rake.

Now, I'm assuming there's a slight difference between our tractors because of the higher HP, and the added HST controls ... And your tractor apparently goes quite a bit faster than mine, I think 17.1 mph is the fastest I've ever seen ... But, you've also got more weight in the loaded tires than I have with my wheel weights. So, that definitely has an effect on uphill travels in H range.

/ 1758 Review
The listed shipping weight of this outside wood boiler is just over #1800. As you can see I have borrowed extended forks to slide over my pallet forks and I am lifting from inside the fire box with the forks as far inside as I can go until they bottom out on back of fire box. Lifting from the bottom isn't possible as the sheet metal will crush. Fleet Farm loaded this with a smaller forklift in the same fashion. My tractor will only lift two legs off the trailer. Not even close to be able to move this boiler. Are physics hurting me that much with this attempted lift? Dealer checked loader spec and has it dialed up to the max. What the **** is going on here? Am I expecting too much being a skid steer guy???

IMG_20150328_180632871.jpg

IMG_20150328_180714273_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150328_180653730.jpg