186D radiator drain

/ 186D radiator drain #1  

gasmodesto

Tractor
Yanmar 186D
bought this tractor last week. 650 hours on it and he said he rebuilt motor about 30 hours ago. Anyway I can see their is no anti freeze so kind of a priority to get some in it. Service manual only said remove plug. Hmm tractor is about 55 miles from where I live so it would be nice to know what wrenches I need to bring with or is it just pliars. First time I have been on a tractor since mid 70s. Bought 2.5 acres up by Sonora, Ca.

/ 186D radiator drain
As a sidenote charging light wasn't on when I bought it but it is on now. Kind of believe a loose connection. Had to trailer it a couple hundred miles. And while I am asking has anyone converted one of these over to gauges instead of lights? Hate not knowing what is actually happening

/ 186D radiator drain #3  
The radiator and block drain is a small petcock at the midpoint of a small tube between those two. See this Hoye diagram:

COOLING_SYSTEM: Yanmar Tractor Parts

Please don't butcher that thing adding gauges. That won't solve why the charging light went out. Troubleshoot, solve the problem, then enjoy years of troublefree service.

These aren't delicate, once they are set up to spec as God and Yanmar intended :) it will be years before you need to do anything else.

/ 186D radiator drain #4  
I prefer to know what is going on, too. I put gauges on mine shortly after getting it. Adding gauges is a simple task on these tractors. It has been discussed on several threads here.

/ 186D radiator drain #5  
I don't see much space on, under, or especially behind the tiny dashboard on these (YM186), for gauges. I know disconnecting everything under there to pull the dash and replace the steering box on the YM186D I sold, was a nightmare because everything is jammed in so tight.

Anything is possible but my own preference is avoid complexity when I don't see how it will add value for me. These models are reliable and any warning is unlikely.

I'm pretty sure I would notice a sudden new light sooner than noticing a gauge reading out of spec.

We see a lot of new owners appear here and post "my tractor is running hot and the warning light comes on often. I need to install a temperature gauge!" Uh no, bring the cooling back to spec - get the radiator rodded or replaced and it will never overheat. Same reasoning in this case where the discharge light no longer comes on at idle. There's an electrical problem and adding more complexity to more precisely measure amps or volts isn't the solution.

OP, the discharge light should be on at idle, then weaken and die out as you get up to about 1,000 rpm. When you get the wiring (likely a ground) connected as intended this light will provide all the information needed. The other lights will come on momentarily as a test each time you crank the starter.

/ 186D radiator drain #6  
Welcome to the forum Gasmodesto. :welcome:

/ 186D radiator drain #7  
Welcome.

If your looking for a size just bring your normal metric wrench set that's 99% of the bolts on this thing. I think the petcock on the side of my YM2000 is either a 17mm or a 19mm, I cant say for sure and both those could be wrong but I am pretty sure its one of those.

/ 186D radiator drain #8  
Buy a set of metric wrenches plus a set of 1/2" drive metric sockets with a ratchet & breaker bar from HF.It's a good start & not very expensive.

/ 186D radiator drain
Buy a set of metric wrenches plus a set of 1/2" drive metric sockets with a ratchet & breaker bar from HF.It's a good start & not very expensive.

I have a complete set of metrics, just was looking for information what to take with to remove the radiator drain with. Headed up this morning to unload a gearmore box scraper I bought as well as a little trailer for it to pull around. Still looking for a 4 foot brush hog for it. Right now I don't have a lockable shed on property. Going to get it done pretty quick as soon as we decide where buildings should go.

/ 186D radiator drain
Man that was ez. Spent about 5 min looking at radiator for a drain. Found the drain on the left frame rail. Think it was 17 mm to remove plug and drain. Refilled with 50 50. Ran for about 10 minutes until it was warm and circulated. Was supposed to be 28 degrees last night so all is good. Now have to figure out why charging light is on and then either find hydraulic cylinder rebuild kits or new cylinders for the koyker 100 loader. Thinking 22 seconds to raise is excessive since it only supposed to take 8 seconds