1920 Cranks - Won't Fire

/ 1920 Cranks - Won't Fire #1  

toddwulf

Silver Member
Tractor
1998 New Holland 1920
Well, I changed the fuel filter and then bled per the manual. I get good crank, and it sounds like it want's to fire, but just doesn't quite get there. What am I missing?

P.S. I have the air filter housing removed as it got a thorough cleaning. Help appreciated of where to look next. Cheers.

/ 1920 Cranks - Won't Fire #2  
Have you bled air from the injector pump, and fuel filter bowl? Have yo cracked the injector lines right at the injectors? even a bit of trapped air keeps get squeezed and not actually allow fuel to move. When you see a air bubble stop coming at the injector fuel supply nut and have steady diesel coming then you want to tighten the nut. Make sure give enough time for the glow plug to run to facilitate easier start. I'm confident you issue is not totally bled the ait out of the injector lines.

JC,

/ 1920 Cranks - Won't Fire #3  
Have you bled air from the injector pump, and fuel filter bowl? Have yo cracked the injector lines right at the injectors? even a bit of trapped air keeps get squeezed and not actually allow fuel to move. When you see a air bubble stop coming at the injector fuel supply nut and have steady diesel coming then you want to tighten the nut. Make sure give enough time for the glow plug to run to facilitate easier start. I'm confident you issue is not totally bled the ait out of the injector lines.

JC,

agree 100%. Ive had to crack the fuel inlet line right at the injector to blead there first.

/ 1920 Cranks - Won't Fire #4  
Fuel pump in this application is a reciprocating positive displacement variety. The fuel is not compressible but air is very much compressible. The amount of fuel being pumped out of each individual pump piston/valve is very little and the pressure is built against the injector spring stiffness. A bit of the air in the line and all pump is able to do is to squeeze and let go of the bubble of air and not actually flowing any fuel.

JC,

/ 1920 Cranks - Won't Fire
Well, I thought I had thoroughly bled the system. Cracked the air bleed at the fuel pump until it flowed good, same with each injector at the block. I did take some time getting fuel to the piston closest to the cab, so maybe I didn't give it enough bleed time. I did not bleed the the fuel filter, just assumed I was good there with a full bowl. When I get home I'll run through the process again Sat AM and pay more attention to ensure the flow is good and no air from each point downstream and see where that get's me. Thanks Guys!

/ 1920 Cranks - Won't Fire #6  
Also, not sure about yours, but my fuel filter bowl has 3 setings...off, on and air. The air setting is to help bleed off air when system is cracked or filter change

/ 1920 Cranks - Won't Fire
The 1920 fuel selector is as follows:
9 oclock On
12 oclock On
3 o clock Off

I have it set at 12 oclock. Not sure why there are two on's and I'm fairly certain that is where it was set before I turned to off to R&R the filter. Also what is pictured in the manual. If there is a bleed point there I missed it - as did the manual.

/ 1920 Cranks - Won't Fire #8  
On mine, when I change the filter the filter I open up the screw to bleed off the air from the bowl. I keep the tank valve closed, open up the screw and then turn the tank valve open. By gravity fuel fills the bowl and bleed the air out. I usually don't change the filter with the cold engine. I wait after I'm done with my chores . A warm engine always has easier job of starting with a tiny bit of air in the line.

JC,

ps. when you have two on posisions, then one is normal on and the other emergency as it is ported in a manner to have a bit of fuel reserved in the tank just to get you back in the barn.

[/URL

/ 1920 Cranks - Won't Fire #9  
if it's a non powershift, IE a striaght gear model.. pull start it..

soundguy

/ 1920 Cranks - Won't Fire #10  
Was it running fine and you serviced it and now it wont start or would it not start and then you changed the fuel filter.
Bill