Mowing 1920 is SO LOUD…why?

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why? #11  
Best Practice is to always using ear plugs on (expandable foam inserts.) anytime on the tractor. My Kubota is really very quiet in comparison to Ford 1700 but still I use ear plugs. I have used ear plugs even using shop vac or impact driver for many years and my audio test shows the good result.

Last edited:
   / 1920 is SO LOUD…why? #13  
If you could find a breaker that would sell you the parts from a TC30 at a reasonable cost. Looks to be the same layout as the 1520,1620,1720 tractors. Not sure about the 1920. I think that is a larger beast. Could tuck the exhaust under the hood. Looks like the main thing they moved is the air cleaner.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-10 060020.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-10 060020.png
    2 MB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot 2023-06-10 055619.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-10 055619.png
    882.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot 2023-06-10 055720.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-10 055720.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
   / 1920 is SO LOUD…why?
Best Practice is to always using ear plugs on (expandable foam inserts.) anytime on the tractor. My Kubota is really very quiet in comparison to Ford 1700 but still I use ear plugs. I have used ear plugs even using shop vac or impact driver for many years and my audio test shows the good result.

I use the foam one AND a $300 pair of head phone type protectors and ears still ring for three days after mowing for a few hours at 2500rpm.

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why?
If you could find a breaker that would sell you the parts from a TC30 at a reasonable cost. Looks to be the same layout as the 1520,1620,1720 tractors. Not sure about the 1920. I think that is a larger beast. Could tuck the exhaust under the hood. Looks like the main thing they moved is the air cleaner.

From ur pics it’s looks like a long shot but I may just call a dealer and see if they have any ideas. Clearly, porting it down like on the TCs has advantages including thee off chance disaster when the muffler cap accidentally gets stuck in the up position and it rains. Never happened but did have an ice storm lock it shut once and was very befuddled re why it wouldn’t start until I checked it. Whole tractor was encased in 1/8” ice. Always something…

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why? #16  
I use the foam one AND a $300 pair of head phone type protectors and ears still ring for three days after mowing for a few hours at 2500rpm.
Combined extendible foam ear plug insert along with ear muff should provide around 40 NRR (Noise Reduction Rating). it should work effectively as I can stand next to a huge 12 cylinder industrial engine generator very comfortably while at full load and screaming. Did you get a db rating about 3 to 6 feet away from the exhaust ? very curious to see what that number might be. OSHA's permissible exposure level is 90 dBa over 8 hr day.

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why?
Combined extendible foam ear plug insert along with ear muff should provide around 40 NRR (Noise Reduction Rating). it should work effectively as I can stand next to a huge 12 cylinder industrial engine generator very comfortably while at full load and screaming. Did you get a db rating about 3 to 6 feet away from the exhaust ? very curious to see what that number might be. OSHA's permissible exposure level is 90 dBa over 8 hr day.

Hmm, while we have a zillion tools, I don’t have anything to measure Db. I wonder it there’s an app for that ;)

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why? #18  
My former 1920 came with an exhaust extension above the muffler, maybe 10" long. Its tip curved to shoot the exhaust almost horizontally instead of straight up and it was rotated to shoot it forward. I might have a leftover extension around here from when I replaced the muffler.

That exhaust stack was a pain when mowing around all the trees so I asked the dealer to mount it horizontally. After he waded into it, he said he couldn't make it work. Might have interfered with the loader or something else.

I never thought much about the noise until I replaced it with a Kubota. It wasn't as loud inside the barn.

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why? #19  
My former 1920 came with an exhaust extension above the muffler, maybe 10" long. Its tip curved to shoot the exhaust almost horizontally instead of straight up and it was rotated to shoot it forward. I might have a leftover extension around here from when I replaced the muffler.

That exhaust stack was a pain when mowing around all the trees so I asked the dealer to mount it horizontally. After he waded into it, he said he couldn't make it work. Might have interfered with the loader or something else.

I never thought much about the noise until I replaced it with a Kubota. It wasn't as loud inside the barn.

Here's the extension I mentioned, on someone else's tractor:

0B35AA4A-413D-4C50-9479-D95CE43760F6.jpeg

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why? #20  
Hmm, while we have a zillion tools, I don’t have anything to measure Db. I wonder it there’s an app for that ;)
I don't use an app as I have a sound decibel meter that I use at work from time to time. There are certainly "sound level" or "sound meter" apps both for android and iphone. Just go to the app store and download a free one. It is not as accurate as dedicated unit but it is " good enough for government work",:)