1949 Ford 8N (converted to 12 volts) starter issue

/ 1949 Ford 8N (converted to 12 volts) starter issue
I will take pictures of the tractor and the push button in the morning for your review

Here is a picture
Ford Tractor.jpg

Also, on the block where the starter is mounted and behind the steering linkage are raised letters "8N"

Ford Tractor.jpg
Ford 8N.jpg
Hope this helps

/ 1949 Ford 8N (converted to 12 volts) starter issue #15  
It isn't just as simple as a dead battery, is it? I haven't read that you checked that.

/ 1949 Ford 8N (converted to 12 volts) starter issue #16  
as suspected. you DO NOT have an 8n. you have a 9n or 2n. and it is somewhere before a mid 44 model.. as it has i beam radius rods. .. Oval came out in 44.

big difference.

no solenoid on a 9n/2n.

and the trans safety interlock switch is a mechanical starter switch. not a grounding switch to a solenoid.

can't help you with your problems without knowing what tractor you had.

/ 1949 Ford 8N (converted to 12 volts) starter issue #17  
Does anyone have instructions or wiring diagram for converting to 12 volt system I have a alternator

/ 1949 Ford 8N (converted to 12 volts) starter issue #18  
essentially same wireing except you remove the old vreg and it's field wire. take the old armature wire. one end goes to alt charge stud.. other end goes to bat wire that was on vreg.

add in your ballast resistor or get proper coil.

if a 3 wire gm 10/12si alt.. jump charge stud to #2 terminal. take #1 terminal thru a 194 lamp to the hot side of the key switch ( good use of that old field wire ).

change out lamp elements and fuse for new elements. change battery.. make sure ground polarity matches alternator... usually negative ground.

if a round can coil.. make sure it's (-) side goes to dizzy... if negative ground.

'bout it.

/ 1949 Ford 8N (converted to 12 volts) starter issue #19  
I have a 1949 8N front mount dist. and the 3 wire GM 10/12si alt only reason I'm changing is the generator fried and I had the alt. just sitting here anyway I'm just not crazy about doing the wiring changes.

/ 1949 Ford 8N (converted to 12 volts) starter issue #20  
as said. wireing change is minimal..