1950 ford 8n rear wheels

/ 1950 ford 8n rear wheels #11  
The steering tie rod looks bent. On the plus side I think it has a Sherman auxiliary transmission. I would guess that some prior owner had several old Ford's with broken bits so the good bits made one tractor....

/ 1950 ford 8n rear wheels
are you talking about the lever above the tie rod mapper
if so how dose it work

/ 1950 ford 8n rear wheels #14  
The Sherman transmissions came in a couple of configurations, there was a step up, giving a high range and step down, providing a low range, as well a I think a dual range version. The drawback with them was that the PTO speed was affected as well.
There are several 8N websites out there that have a lot of information about the various auxiliary transmissions that were available for them. Hupp also made one for them.
If you are going to fix it up for your own use, get an original steering wheel, my old 8N's steering was really heavy the original steering wheel was larger than the replacement on yours. The added leverage was needed.

/ 1950 ford 8n rear wheels #15  
You can have 9n wheels/axle bolted on to an 8n center housing. If the center housing doesn't have 4 holes underneath toward the rear than it's a 9n
2n housing. Tires have some cracking but ain't no big deal. If it ain't going to be a show tractor run them as is. Agree, change out that rinky dink steering wheel. Sherman is a combo. In has 3 ranges and will give you 12 speeds and 3 pto speeds.
Good luck with your new tractor.

Kirk

Thanks for all the help guys
just fixing up for my own use
It runs great haven't tried the Sherman yet wasn't so what it was
It sure is a different machine compared to my little s370 beaver

again thanks for the info guys

/ 1950 ford 8n rear wheels #17  
i'd like to see pics of the brake drum / pedal arangement for that frankenstein!

i'd like to see pics of the brake drum / pedal arangement for that frankenstein!

Screenshot_20161020-144508.png
this is the best I have as of now of the brake pedal
I'm out of town i will get more next week

/ 1950 ford 8n rear wheels #19  
Look to me like they either changed out the trumpets, with or without the center housing. If it's an 8n center housing it will have 4 bolt holes underneath for drawbar and looking at the rear of your toplink there will be ears on each side which may or maynot have a long pin installed. It also looks like you might have a lever on the round cover which could be a howard trans. If so with the howard in low range and the sherman in low range you can walk on you hands and still be faster than the tractor. Here's a shot of my wife planting potatoes. Tractor is running/driving when I step of to take a couple of photos.

Kirk

Attachments

• 100_3578_zpsxsem14cy.jpg
    100_3578_zpsxsem14cy.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 100
   / 1950 ford 8n rear wheels #20  
I see they 'golberg'd the brake pedals. :)