1952 ford 8n starting problems

/ 1952 ford 8n starting problems #1  

Nick2720

Tractor
8n ford 1952
I inherited my grandfathers tractor and has been sitting a long while . I took it apart and put new valve train in it and had the head rewored . I got it back about 2 weeks ago. The next step was to buy a water pump and new carb from just8ns. Got the stuff in and put on this weekend hoping to crank it up for the first time. Well after putting a new coil on and a tune up kit on for points and plugs I finally start trying to fire it up. Now here is the problem. I originally starting trying to fire with starting fluid and it would hit and that's about it. Well today after trying to choke it it still wouldn't respondylitis on just gas . So I put my hand up to it and it sucked up enough gas to crank it up . Well as long as you bump your hand every few seconds it will run but if you don't it dies after a few seconds. I pulled the drain bolt and the bowl is full of gas. I set the float as well just to make sure. I feel like it's something causing the carb to starve bit with it being new I don't know what else to check. I have a small tank rigged with only one elbowsstrainer on the carb itself so it's gettin fuel. I also tried adjusting the carb but it was non responsive..... any help is appreciated, I'm starting to fill I'm at a dead end in some ways

/ 1952 ford 8n starting problems #2  
Have you tried a quick compression check? You may need to re-check the valve clearances. I just finished rebuilding my 8N and had to reset the valve clearances a couple of times after cranking it over. have you brought the flywheel to the "0" mark on the compression stroke? You do know the flywheel on the '52 8N (same model I have) has two sets of timing marks. You could be off by 180 deg. Pull the number 1 spark plug and put your finger tightly over the hole and bump start it until you feel the compression stroke (it will try to pop your finger off the hole) and then stick a screwdriver in the side hole and turn the flywheel until you get to the "0" mark. Then double check that your distributor is correctly set to #1 spark plug wire and the points are set correctly at .025. If not, pull dist. and re-stab it correctly. The firing order is 1-2-4-3 ccw. I'm just going over what I had to do to finally get her to fire up and run well. I've heard that the condensers now days are not what they use to be and may be bad out of the box. Might try changing that out as I've one that would not run due to a bad one. Change it with another "new" one and it fired right up. These cheapo China parts are junk right out of the bag. Good luck and hope it runs for you after all of that. You might try this forum and scroll down the list to the 9N-2N-8N forum as it is very good for these antique tractors.

Discussion Forums - Yesterday's Tractors

/ 1952 ford 8n starting problems
Do I have to put a new or old venturi in the new carb or should it ccome with one ?.

/ 1952 ford 8n starting problems #4  
Possibly the needle valve is stuck to the seat? Have you determined you have fuel in the float bowl?
Jim