Buying Advice 1955 International 300 Utility

/ 1955 International 300 Utility #1  

Carl in CT

Silver Member
Tractor
1958 Massey Harris Ferguson 202 loader/backhoe
Hi, I'm fairly new here but I see the enormous amount of knowledge out here! So I thought I'd see if I could get any advice on possibly buying an old loader/backhoe. I already posted in the MF forum regarding one I saw for sale for $3,000. It's operational but with some issues. Now I am hoping to go check out a 1955 International 300 Utility with backhoe/loader. Here is the ad:

1955 International 300 Utility tractor with same vintage Henry brand backhoe/loader. Runs good, tires good, rare backhoe, a collectable tractor. Buckets and some cylinders were rebuilt a few years ago. Some newer pins, bushings and hoses. Old and loose, but would make a good yard machine and/or restoration project.

I tried to include the pics, hope they come out.

I know it's not much to go on but any thoughts/advice?

Attachments

• 1955 IH 300 Utility BH_Loader 1.bmp
    197.8 KB · Views: 6,139
  • 1955 IH 300 Utility BH_Loader 2.bmp
    197.8 KB · Views: 7,117
  • 1955 IH 300 Utility BH_Loader 3.bmp
    197.8 KB · Views: 4,495
   / 1955 International 300 Utility #2  
IH 300 was a great work tractor. My father had one for years growing up.

A couple issues, with a loader on it, the front end will have some wear, although most of those did have powers steering, the front ends on that vintage tractor were the same, loader or no loader.

That backhoe is ok, but there again, it was an add-on. Production will be slow and the traqctor is light for the backhoe. It will be bullied around pretty good by that stick on the rear. I'd love to find an old 300 U, but I'd loose the loader and backhoe if it were mine. JMHO

/ 1955 International 300 Utility
OK, good to know. Maybe the loader is why the tractor is now "loose". I want the backhoe and loader just for personal use to dig out stumps, etc (I want to put in another driveway to the back of my property). I don't mind taking my time, it's still gonna be faster and easier than my pick and shovel.

After that I don't foresee needing the backhoe that much and may take it off but I would want to keep the loader on, maybe the backhoe is good counter weight anyway. I don't know yet if this tractor has a 3pt hitch and rear pto to operate other implements later, like a brush mower. Maybe it does since the backhoe is an add-on.

He said the disc brakes work so-so. When he got it they didn't work at all so he cleaned them up, he suspects they need to be cleaned up again. Some new brake parts might be needed. This seems like a more solid tractor than the MF 202 that needs work and he will deliver the 300, but it's $1,200 more.

/ 1955 International 300 Utility #4  
I bought a used ( obviously) 300u six years ago as for mowing. Nice tractor that runs well and I absolutely love the Torque amplifier. Wish they all had it. Tractor sits parked in the shed and has been for years. Mine doesn't have power steering and it is impossible to steer, especially at low speeds. Without PS, using a loader will be an exercise in frustration. The steering box isn't that robust and will wear out quickly if it hasn't already, and they are impossible to repair/ get parts for.

I would look for a later diesel tractor.

More good info, thanks. I may still go take a look but I will ask about the steering box and test it out. Funds are limited and if I buy something it needs to be before winter or I'll end up having to rent something anyway to dig a trench for a drain pipe and I hate renting equipment.

I want to make wise choice but finding something I can afford and not too far from home hasn't been easy. I figure if I get something that is not fun to use but gets me through a couple of years without big repair bills I will be doing OK. Then maybe I can afford to upgrade if I still need a tractor by then. I'll see how it goes with this one and keep looking, I sent the guy an e-mail with some more questions. I don't want to jump too soon.

/ 1955 International 300 Utility #6  
I bought a used ( obviously) 300u six years ago as for mowing. Nice tractor that runs well and I absolutely love the Torque amplifier. Wish they all had it. Tractor sits parked in the shed and has been for years. Mine doesn't have power steering and it is impossible to steer, especially at low speeds. Without PS, using a loader will be an exercise in frustration. The steering box isn't that robust and will wear out quickly if it hasn't already, and they are impossible to repair/ get parts for.

I would look for a later diesel tractor.

Charlie, many people put old car or truck tires on them because of the costs of the triple rib fronts they came with.

I had a simular model that the tires were just well worn triple ribs basically just about flat across.
When I had a flat one day I installed a new triple rib and I couldn't believe how much easier it steered. I bought the other one the next day and totally enjoyed the reduced steering effort!!!!

When I was young I had driven the same model, because this one steered so hard I had totally disassembled the steering assembly before and with the help of the factory people from IH I had all the demensions of the gears and everything was well within spec! It still steered hard!!!

Try the front tires, the two inch wide center rib will be a lot easier to steer with then a five or six inch wide flat surface!!!!

I spoke with the owner yesterday, real nice, old school tractor guy. He was not surprised I asked about the steering, he admitted it's a little tough (no power steering) but not horrible. He said he had put new tires on the front some time ago, hard to tell just how good they are now in the pics but he said they are good tractor tires. He said on the rare occasion he has gotten into a tight spot and it's hard to turn he picks up the front end with the loader, turns the wheels, puts it back down and he's on his way.

He said he took the steering box apart and cleaned it all up at some point, said all of the parts were in good shape. He replaced a drain plug with a grease fitting and he now keeps the box full of grease. He said it's an old farmer's trick to gaurd against fluid leaking out and running the box dry. That makes me a little nervous but he swears he's done this on countless tractors he has had over the years and has never had a problem, even in colder weather. I dunno, any thoughts on that?

/ 1955 International 300 Utility #8  
Yep! in cold weather it would be harder to turn but it is done on many of the older gear boxes.

It might not get lubrication to some spots in the top of the gearbox but more then likely should work.

Normally if you can be moving the tractor it shouldn't turn to bad. I would try driving it yourself, if all your work is wide open you might not mind it at all!!! IT sure will give your upper body a good work out!!!

Back when those were new tractor dealers would add all of the loaders and backhoes in the shop often taking days to assemble. Pippen is another name that I remember adding and there were a couple of more brands at the time. By the time the sixties rolled around most manufactuers had switched to factory assembled units.

/ 1955 International 300 Utility #9  
I owned a 1958 340 Utility for several years and it was a fairly good tractor but parts are extremely hard to find for it and a reprint shop manual will cost you a great deal too. The torque amplifier on mine was bad, only had high range on mine and luckily mine had power steering. You have to have a 3 point adapter to use the hitch - it's an industrial hitch and the hydraulic controls for the hitch are tricky if they need work - mine worked like a continous draft control of some sort, never did figure that one out completely. If you have good mechanical skills you might be able to use the tractor but be warned -

/ 1955 International 300 Utility #10  
I had a 300U for 15 years. Without power steering, it is very difficult to steer with a loader on it. Parts were hard to get years ago, now almost impossible, a lot of old iron has been scrapped. I'd look at a new bota or ? 0% financing is cool also.