1955 Model 640 timing cover removal - help please

/ 1955 Model 640 timing cover removal - help please #1  

MGBBob80

Tractor
Ford/640
Hello all, I'm trying to remove the timing gear cover and am wondering if I need to remove the pulley hub or not. I removed the pulley itself, but the tech manual leads me to believe that I also need to remove the hub and I cannot figure out how to do it. I have not yet broken any of the timing cover bolts free yet in the hopes someone will set me straight. Any ideas highly appreciated. Bob

Attachments

• DSCN0657.jpg
    DSCN0657.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCN0659.jpg
    DSCN0659.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 217
   / 1955 Model 640 timing cover removal - help please #2  
here's what that cover looks like BEHIND the hub

172tcover.jpg

/ 1955 Model 640 timing cover removal - help please
I really appreciate the look, but don't understand yet though... Look like hub has to come off, but don't see how to do it. Bob

/ 1955 Model 640 timing cover removal - help please #4  
which service manual do you have? and do you have the parts manual? if not, hit the dealers website and go to the parts section for an exploded diagram.

/ 1955 Model 640 timing cover removal - help please #5  
actually.. here is a pic..

134inside.JPG

That's a great pic - thanks! Looks like I'll need to use a puller of some sort. Here's a pic of the manual I'm using. Until now I have found it to be pretty thorough. Bob

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 171
   / 1955 Model 640 timing cover removal - help please #7  
looks like the old I&T manual.

Yes. Got it with the tractor and have used it ever since. Looking at the drawing you sent - it does not show the nut shown on my pics that I posted earlier. Not sure if that's a big deal or not. I'm learning, but sure wish I knew more about these things right now...:confused3:

Problem solved: 1955 Model 640 timing cover removal - help please

Solution lies in an impact wrench and a 1 & 5/16" socket to turn the nut. The hub then pulls right out. Would not break free with standard ratchet or wrench. Really simple once it was explained, but you know how those things go... Many thanks to Skip's Repair of Whitmore Lake, MI for showing me the way!

:drink:
Bob

/ 1955 Model 640 timing cover removal - help please #10  
it will come out with a standard ratched or wrench.. you just have to blockthe crank... hydro locking a cyl with oil will do it.