1956 Ferguson 40 Water pump replacement

/ 1956 Ferguson 40 Water pump replacement #1  

alan8373

Tractor
Wheel Horse D-250, 520-H
Hi all... I have a 1956 Ferguson F40 I'm rebuilding the motor for... I'm trying to get the water pump apart from the pulley mechanism... Do I need a press for this? Any advice on how to do it myself? I have the new pump assembly but need to get the pulley off first before I can reinstall. Thanks!

/ 1956 Ferguson 40 Water pump replacement #2  
It presses off, and on.

/ 1956 Ferguson 40 Water pump replacement
Thanks - gonna pick up a press today - should've done this years ago....

/ 1956 Ferguson 40 Water pump replacement #4  
Just be careful with the press and/or puller. The pulley assembly can crack if it's really tight and evenly distributed pressure is not applied. Good luck with it.

Yup :( just found that out yesterday. The press busted the pulley - can't believe the pump is in there so tight. I'm ordering a new pulley.

/ 1956 Ferguson 40 Water pump replacement #6  
It's a roll of the dice as far as pressing those pulleys off, and on goes. You can heat them with a torch, or soak it in penetrating oil for a month, and it still won't come off. Other times they will press right off. I had one split from one end to the other once.

It's a roll of the dice as far as pressing those pulleys off, and on goes. You can heat them with a torch, or soak it in penetrating oil for a month, and it still won't come off. Other times they will press right off. I had one split from one end to the other once.

I soaked the assembly for 2 days after i tried heating it up and that failed. Next time i just won't touch it if there's no problem with it. I'm trying to be too 'perfect' with this rebuild I think - these external parts can be left alone if they're fine. It's easy enough (relatively) to replace if i find an issue later on.

/ 1956 Ferguson 40 Water pump replacement #8  
Nothing wrong with being too perfect on a rebuild even if it is an external piece that can be easy to fix later.

/ 1956 Ferguson 40 Water pump replacement #9  
What's the best way to support the pulley/pump when trying to press off? Do they have some kind of support jig that wraps around the entire backside circumference of the pulley and then you press down on the shaft, or what?

I remember breaking one years ago but since then I had a shop do it once or twice and no problems. But I never watched or asked how they did it.

What's the best way to support the pulley/pump when trying to press off? Do they have some kind of support jig that wraps around the entire backside circumference of the pulley and then you press down on the shaft, or what?

I remember breaking one years ago but since then I had a shop do it once or twice and no problems. But I never watched or asked how they did it.

I used some iron bars underneath the pulley to support it. I thought it was evenly distributed underneath - maybe it was in fact - but that doesn't matter now. Next time i'll just leave well enough alone.