1956 Ferguson To 35

/ 1956 Ferguson To 35
I'm in the process of getting a coil and see if that makes the difference. This new set of points hasn't fouled,so they should be good as I haven't had to clean them. Thanks for the input.Well let you know if this resolves the problem. Thanks - Gary

/ 1956 Ferguson To 35 #12  
keep in mind if you get another 6v coil you need a resistor in line with it.. I'd opt for a real 12v coil.

post back

/ 1956 Ferguson To 35 #14  
after my to35 has been setting for a few weeks and when i started it started smoking and burning oil what would cause this.

/ 1956 Ferguson To 35 #15  
after my to35 has been setting for a few weeks and when i started it started smoking and burning oil what would cause this.

drain thru valve guides

/ 1956 Ferguson To 35 #16  
does it clear up after running for a few minutes?

doe sit make a puf of blue smoke when you gass on it real quick?

/ 1956 Ferguson To 35 #17  
I have a 1956 Ferguson To 35, and I'm having an electrical problem. I have been having problems with the points fouling up after it ran for a while, so I went ahead and gave it a tune up, (new plugs, points, condenser, cap, and rotor). That helped a little, but the same thing started happening again. To me it seems the spark is awful week and sporadic. I had it out the other day to do some tilling and it started OK, but ran a little rough, and eventually died in about 15 minutes. I started checking things out but I couldn't get it started again and eventually ran down the battery. I've been through the carburetor and fuel system, everything's OK in the at area. I checked the spark, and again it was weak to me and at times not at all. Is it a coil issue, ignition module problem, or what? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks - Gary

Have you checked the gas flow? Could be the float is shutting down too early, or a clog in the line. The sediment bowl has very small diameter tubes that drain down from the tank. These can clog very easily. There is a filter screwed to the bottom of the drain opening inside the bowl, this should be cleaned periodically. This could be clogged. There is also a filter in the fuel line where it enters the carb. Need to check air flow to carb also.

Sounds like the tractor starts and runs fine after enough gas has drained in to the carb, then starves as that gas is not replaced adequately.

/ 1956 Ferguson To 35 #18  
so he say weak to 'no spark and you are thinking fuel.

parts houses love that level of diagnostics......

/ 1956 Ferguson To 35 #19  
so he say weak to 'no spark and you are thinking fuel.

parts houses love that level of diagnostics......

It does not cost anything to clean the fuel lines and rule out the possiblity of low fuel issues. He said he suspects the electric but has not confirmed it. He also ran the battery dead. trying to start it. Low fuel will cause fouling. There is the possiblity that it could be a combination of issues. Hope I haven't offended you with my thoughts. I have owned a TO35 for many years...

/ 1956 Ferguson To 35 #20  
it takes about 15 seconds to see if you have spark on all plugs.

it takes ALOT longer to celan the fuel system.

check sparks first. not second. besides. who wants to check for spark AFTEr YOU HAVE GAS ON YOUR HAND AND DRIBBLED DOWN THE SIDE OF THE TRACTOR.

It's a no brainer. if your car blows a tire on the road. you check to see which one is blown BEFORE you start changing them all to eventually find the blown one. :)

the fact it is a t0-35 means little.

same info applies from gas lawnmowers on up. just about any old gasser tractor from back then is going to have a similar kettering ignition and simple carb setup.