1957 Ford 740 3pt lift problem

/ 1957 Ford 740 3pt lift problem #1  

FXSTER

Tractor
BX23
Hello,
My family aquired a 1957 (I think) Ford model 740 (power steering, narrow front end) and have been using it for 4 or 5 years. It's a great old tractor, but one problem that it has always had (well, since we got it anyway) is that the 3pt hydraulics do not lift up very high. I keep having to use the additional lift arm (small lever located under the seat on the right hand side) to carry regular implements such as a box blade or disc.
It is full of hydraulic oil and we really do not believe that it has air in the system as everything works just great with the exception of not lifting very high.
We're trying to locate a manual for it, but I thought I would see if anyone had any ideas here too.
Thanks for any help
Tim

/ 1957 Ford 740 3pt lift problem #2  
Do you know what the additional 'little' lift arm is for?

Sounds like a draft control, such as used when plowing.

Do you have live PTO on that tractor?

Have you changed the hyd. oil since you have had it?

/ 1957 Ford 740 3pt lift problem
I have no idea what the small lift arm located under the seat is for. All I know is that by lifting this small arm, the 3pt raises up to the height that it should go in the first place. The small arm is apparently spring loaded because when you let go of it after it has raised the 3pt, the 3pt returns to the lower position.
The tractor has live lift, but not live power. Everything works on the tractor except for the regular 3pt lift does not come up high at all.
As for hydraulic fluid, it was replaced a little over a year ago and the 3pt problem did not change as a result of the oil change. We probably only put 110-140 hours a year on the tractor so, it doesn't get used all that much.
I'm thinking that there has to be some adjustment on the hydraulics somewhere to fix this...just not sure where.
Oh, the hydrualics do leak down with a 3pt implement, but it takes probably 2+ hours for it to leak all the way down.
Tim

/ 1957 Ford 740 3pt lift problem #4  
You might want to try posting your problem in the ford message board at yesterdaystractors.com . A lot of knwledge over there on older tractors.

Ben

/ 1957 Ford 740 3pt lift problem #5  
FXSTER, your problem is the lever is not staying the UP position. UP is position control and DOWN is draft control. There should be an indent to keep the handle in the UP position. That is probably worn and the arm just drops back into draft control when you release it. Perhaps a bungee cord would be a temporary fix. Fixing the problem permanently will probably require the removal of the hydraulic lift assembly.

/ 1957 Ford 740 3pt lift problem #6  
Yep.. his draft and position control mechanism is out of adjustment... could be a cam follower pin (worn ) or even a spring problem... I agree with jinman.

Hit ytmag.com.. ford N board... ask for zane sherman.. he's a ford tractor mechanic from the dealerships way back in the 50's and a hydraulic expert. he's made quite a few mods and pump retrofits.. and even an adjustment jig.. and a position control feedback gizmo for the non position control tractors.

If it were an 8n or 9n lift i could help you more.. but the NAA lift and hundred seres lift is more complex.. I'd like to have a manual in front of me before saying any more than i already have.

Soundguy

/ 1957 Ford 740 3pt lift problem
Thanks for all the help. I figured that it was just some sort of additional lift you could use if needed...didn't think about the possibility of draft control. I'll post over on ytmag.com as suggested and see what they think.
Thanks jinman, soundguy and beenthere for all of the help.
Tim