Buying Advice 1962 Ford 2000 Produced in 1963?

/ 1962 Ford 2000 Produced in 1963? #11  
I would try the $2000 then. He is probably kicking himself for not taking it. Tell him that is all you can do. Show up with cash and a trailer to show him you are serious.

The vibration is normal on Fords.

As for the year, it does not matter much. They are all good solid tractors.

Are you sure you need that size tractor? A N series could be had with implements in my area for under $2000

Chris

/ 1962 Ford 2000 Produced in 1963? #12  
1, 2200$ is still not out of line for a 2000 even with some rust. just about anywhere tin the 2K$ RANGE is ok.. the less the better. regional distribution and availability makes a difference. if there is a 600/601/2000 on every corner.. they go cheap. if you look for 2 months and find 1, they command more $$. region itself plays a role. northeast = more $ usually, UNLESS the market is flooded. for instance.. an N that goes for 1800$ in florida may cost 3200 in maine... on the other hand a allis WD that goes for 900 $ in a northern state may be 3000$ here because they are as scarce as hens teeth in florida.

a lil shudder in the hyds is about normal. could be plain old wear in the pump.. thick / incorrect oil, water in the oil, or some leak and regen going on making it hunt or bob when up, and pulse on hte way up.

if it will lift the load you need and hold.. lift should be ok... kits are available to fix em.. just like every other part of that tractor.. it's got excelent parts support either via rebuilt / reman/repop or salvage.

soundguy

Thank you guys.

The owner told me he rejected a $2,000 offer from a guy who had cash in hand. Said he wouldn't take any less than $2,200.

I would agree that at that price it is certainly no bargain.

I've been looking hard for 6-8 weeks now for tractors in that price range and they are hard to find.

I noticed that the lift had a very minor vibration in it as he lifted it up.

Is that normal?

The year model isn't that critical at this point but I thought that if it was a 1962 that it might be worth a little bit more down the road being a 1st year model series.

The owner doesn't know what year it is. When I first called him he said he thought it was from the 60's.

Thank You,

Rod Jordan
Pamlico Lawn Care, LLC
Oriental, NC

/ 1962 Ford 2000 Produced in 1963? #13  
I would try the $2000 then. He is probably kicking himself for not taking it. Tell him that is all you can do. Show up with cash and a trailer to show him you are serious.

The vibration is normal on Fords.

As for the year, it does not matter much. They are all good solid tractors.

Are you sure you need that size tractor? A N series could be had with implements in my area for under $2000

Chris

a 601/2000 is so much more tractor than a N that I wouldn't dicker over a few hundred bucks.

if he's lucky, 2100$ may get it.

and ditto on the year.

it's not an extremely collectable model anyway.. if it was a ford 7xxx or 541 then well.. yeah.. more collectable.. :)

soundguy

/ 1962 Ford 2000 Produced in 1963? #14  
Advice from an old haggler:Get cash in small bills, 10's 20's and hold a big wad in your hand.Thumb through them as you talk price.Let him hear the shuffle.Tell him you have $1800 in cash, right now.Check his reaction.A fast refusal probably means he wont take less than asking price.Hesitation means he is considering it. If he keeps looking at the cash, he is mesmerized.Just wait and keep thumbing it.
Take a friend with you.If he refuses,huddle with your friend, and borrow $100 from the friend(Your money he is holding),then say 1900 is your final offer.If he refuses, say "OK,I just bought 2 T-bone steaks for supper tonight, and I will throw them in for good measure, but man, you are taking food right out of my mouth."(Have the steaks on ice in the truck.)If that does not seal the deal,be prepared to pay full asking price, if you really want the tractor.
These tactics may seem unfair, but the way I learned was from having them used on me.Just passing it on.... :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has a 12 volt conversion which is a good thing. I am not a fan of that exhaust exiting like it does.

One thing I would check is the 3 point lift. Have 2 big 200# plus guys stand on each lift arm and operate it. If it can not lift them you will need to do some R&R on it. Just got done doing it on a 961. Not a hard job but does take some time and $15 in parts and gaskets.

I would take $2000 and offer him $1800. Show up with cash money and a trailer. If he does not take the $1800 tell him thanks and leave. Let him know you are going to look at other tractors. Make sure he has your cell phone number. 9 times out of 10 he will call you back before you get 5 miles down the road. Before you turn around make sure you agree on a price. If he says he can not do the $1800 tell him you will meet him in the middle at $2000 and be done with it.

Chris

/ 1962 Ford 2000 Produced in 1963? #15  
Advice from an old haggler:Get cash in small bills, 10's 20's and hold a big wad in your hand.Thumb through them as you talk price.Let him hear the shuffle.Tell him you have $1800 in cash, right now.Check his reaction.A fast refusal probably means he wont take less than asking price.Hesitation means he is considering it. If he keeps looking at the cash, he is mesmerized.Just wait and keep thumbing it.
Take a friend with you.If he refuses,huddle with your friend, and borrow $100 from the friend(Your money he is holding),then say 1900 is your final offer.If he refuses, say "OK,I just bought 2 T-bone steaks for supper tonight, and I will throw them in for good measure, but man, you are taking food right out of my mouth."(Have the steaks on ice in the truck.)If that does not seal the deal,be prepared to pay full asking price, if you really want the tractor.
These tactics may seem unfair, but the way I learned was from having them used on me.Just passing it on.... :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome from Ohio, This is a 2 year old thread.

/ 1962 Ford 2000 Produced in 1963? #16  
Welcome from Ohio, This is a 2 year old thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HEH HEH! Didn't notice the date, but never to late to learn a few negotiation tricks!

/ 1962 Ford 2000 Produced in 1963? #17  
i usually put 80% of my final price in one pocket and the rest in another on most deals likethat..e tc. easy to go up.. hard to go down.. :)

/ 1962 Ford 2000 Produced in 1963? #18  
Having gone thru the school of hard knocks, if I decide on a price to sell something,that is it.
If a person tries to talk me down, I go up 10%. Each time he tries to talk me down, I go up.
Finally, he says OK, I'll pay the original asking price.
Nope! Too late.IT will now cost %10 more, or take a walk.
Tees a lot of people off, but I get my asking price or I take it back home till next time.
After a while, you get a rep for not backing down, and people will not even try.
I only get genuine interested buyers.

/ 1962 Ford 2000 Produced in 1963? #19  
i don't sell many things. once i've decided i actually want to sell something.. I don't waste time with playing silly games like giving buyers a hard time and taking my toys and going home. if I don't want it.. it's not coming home. if I even remotely want it.. that is. if I think in 20ys i might use it.. it's fine to leave stored in the barn...

barter with offer / counter offer is just normal business.

to penalize someone for even asking if you would take less is imho.. impolite. :( but you are entitled to be that way. free market.

soundguy

Having gone thru the school of hard knocks, if I decide on a price to sell something,that is it.
If a person tries to talk me down, I go up 10%. Each time he tries to talk me down, I go up.
Finally, he says OK, I'll pay the original asking price.
Nope! Too late.IT will now cost %10 more, or take a walk.
Tees a lot of people off, but I get my asking price or I take it back home till next time.
After a while, you get a rep for not backing down, and people will not even try.
I only get genuine interested buyers.