1966 MF 180 wont crank

/ 1966 MF 180 wont crank
Problem solved!

Turned out to be a simple wiring issue. The wire from the starter solenoid to the starter switch was the culprit.

I poked and prodded with a test light for a while feeling like I was chasing my tail. Sometimes voltage was present, sometimes not. I finally figured out the problem was right at the starter. There is a ring terminal where the wire connects to the starter and the connection there was faulty. The slightest movement of the wire caused the connection to fail. I cut off the ring terminal and connected the bare wire and everything worked fine. I'll get a new terminal for it soon, but in the mean time she's up and running again.

I guess the timing of the issue had me thinking that this was related to the PTO. Turns out it was just a coincidence after all.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. Your help is much appreciated.

/ 1966 MF 180 wont crank #12  
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and new to tractors. Please let me know if this is posted in the wrong spot.

A few months ago I bought a 1966 MF 180. It's in pretty good shape for it's age and I have used it for a couple of very small tasks. Recently, when I went to start it I got nothing. It's as if one of the starter interlocks is not being satisfied. I know both shifters have to be in neutral and the clutch has to be depressed. Are there other controls that would prevent the starter from engaging?

Immediately prior to this I had tried out a finish mower on the tractor. It was the first time I had the PTO engaged. All went well except after I parked it it wouldn't start again. What am I missing?

According to the previous owner, this tractor does not have Multi-Power. There are a couple of unmarked levers to the left of the steering wheel, (see pics). One is where the Multi-Power lever should be (according the operators manual). I may have moved one or both of these levers in an attempt to figure out what they did. Could that have anything to do with my starting issue? Could anyone tell me what these levers do?

View attachment 608628 View attachment 608629

This is the first tractor I have owned. I operated one a few times years ago but I know I have a lot to learn. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Yeah the lever on the left side is your multi-power but it may not work. Mine doesn't. The left on teh bottom that moves horizontally is your steering wheel adjustment. The switch on top of hte transmission is indeed a neutral safety switch, not a clutch switch. I have a 1971 MF 180. Love the flat floor.

Mike